Participant non-compliance: How to include data in analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a study where participants were given three different treatment options and then tested. However, some participants did more than one treatment option, causing complications in the statistical analysis. The question is raised whether to include or exclude these participants from the analysis and the possibility of using CACE analysis is also explored. Ultimately, it is suggested to include all participants and conduct an ANOVA to determine the results. However, this may turn the experiment into a retrospective observational study, which may have its own limitations and challenges.
Carmen_41
Hello,

I hope this is the appropriate section to post this question:

I conducted a study in which participants were to do one of three treatment options and then write a test. The intention was to separate the participants based on the option they selected and using a one-way ANOVA, analyze whether these groups were statistically different from one another by comparing test grades.

The number of participants that did one of three treatment options were as follows:
Option 1, n = 27
Option 2, n = 98
Option 3, n = 69

The issue I ran into is that several participants misread the instructions and did all three options, or some combination of two of the three options.

The number of participants that did more than one treatment option:
Options 1, 2 and 3, n = 13
Options 1 and 2, n = 17
Options 1 and 3, n = 10
Options 2 and 3, n = 20

Is there a way to use the test data from this group of people (those that did more than one treatment option) in the statistical analysis? For example, can I somehow compare these groups’ test grades to those of the single option groups? Or should they be excluded from the analysis (i.e. per-protocol analysis)?

I looked into complier-average causal effect (CACE) analysis, however in this case I don’t have a control group and there’s no way to determine which of the treatment options (for those that did more than one) had the effect, if any, on the test grade.

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Carmen

Physics news on Phys.org
Carmen_41 said:
Or should they be excluded from the analysis (i.e. per-protocol analysis)?
I think they should be excluded. They did show up, but they didn't actually participate in the experiment. They participated in a different experiment that is not the one you planned.

Likes Carmen_41
You have a typical factorial experiment. Experiments where different combinations of factors are present in the data are the norm, not the exception. (And now you know why that is true even in planned, "controlled" experiments.) Instead of being a problem, those experiments can be more efficient than "one factor at a time" experiments. Even though you didn't plan it this way, I think that you should not throw out the unplanned treatments. I think you should see what ANOVA says about the results.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial_experiment

Likes Carmen_41
If you do that then you no longer have a prospective controlled experiment. You now have a retrospective observational study.

Such studies are certainly possible to analyze, but they are usually considered less credible and there are a number of statistical pitfalls that open up. They are particularly vulnerable to "p-value hacking" and multiple comparisons in general.

Likes Carmen_41

1. What is participant non-compliance?

Participant non-compliance refers to situations where a participant in a research study fails to adhere to the study protocol or follow instructions provided by the researcher. This can include not completing required tasks, not providing accurate or complete data, or dropping out of the study altogether.

2. Why is participant non-compliance a problem in research?

Participant non-compliance can negatively impact the validity and reliability of research results. It can introduce bias and make it difficult to draw accurate conclusions from the data. Additionally, non-compliance can lead to missing data, which can reduce the statistical power of the study.

3. How can data from non-compliant participants be included in analysis?

There are several strategies for including data from non-compliant participants in analysis. One approach is to use intention-to-treat analysis, which includes all participants in the analysis regardless of their level of compliance. Another approach is to use statistical methods such as multiple imputation to account for missing data from non-compliant participants.

4. What are some potential reasons for participant non-compliance?

There are many factors that can contribute to participant non-compliance, including personal reasons such as forgetting or being too busy, as well as study-specific factors such as a lack of understanding or interest in the study. Other reasons may include discomfort with the study procedures, fear of negative consequences, or dissatisfaction with the study design.

5. How can researchers prevent or reduce participant non-compliance?

There are several strategies that researchers can use to prevent or reduce participant non-compliance. These include clearly communicating expectations and instructions to participants, providing incentives or rewards for compliance, and building a supportive and trusting relationship with participants. It is also important to carefully design the study procedures and make them as convenient and feasible as possible for participants.