Agonist/Antagonist muscle pairs (quick question)

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muscle
In summary, when the agonist muscle is paralyzed, the finger stays in an extended position because the flexor muscles are stronger than the extensor muscles in the forearm. This is due to the resting muscle tone of the extensors causing the finger extension. The finger does not need to be physically extended by the person, as it occurs automatically due to the muscle tone. This is also why the fingers are flexed in the resting position of the hand.
sameeralord
agonist/antagonist muscle pairs. Let's say agonist flexes the finger. When agonist get paralyzed why does the finger stay in an extended position?

Ok I know this is obvious it is acting unopposed but my question is for the finger to stay in an extended position does the paralyzed person have to extend his finger first. What I mean is does the finger extend immediately after paralysis or does the person have to physically extend it once and then he can't flex it again so it stays that way.

When my hand is at rest my fingers are flexed? What is the reason for this. How does this flexion occur auto?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
All muscles in your body have a resting muscle tone. It's this tone of the extensors that causes the finger extension when the flexes are paralyzed.

The flexor muscles are stronger than the extensors in your forearm. That's why your fingers are flexed in the resting position of the hand.

AyazM said:
All muscles in your body have a resting muscle tone. It's this tone of the extensors that causes the finger extension when the flexes are paralyzed.

The flexor muscles are stronger than the extensors in your forearm. That's why your fingers are flexed in the resting position of the hand.

I did a research based on your reply and yes it seems involuntary contraction from muscle tone that causes this. Thanks man. Welcome to the forum :smile:

You are welcome :)

What are agonist/antagonist muscle pairs?

Agonist/antagonist muscle pairs are a pair of muscles that work together to create movement in the body. The agonist muscle is responsible for the main action, while the antagonist muscle is responsible for the opposite action or controlling the movement.

What is an example of an agonist/antagonist muscle pair?

A common example of an agonist/antagonist muscle pair is the biceps/triceps pair in the upper arm. The biceps is the agonist muscle responsible for flexing the arm at the elbow, while the triceps is the antagonist muscle responsible for extending the arm.

How do agonist/antagonist muscle pairs work together?

Agonist/antagonist muscle pairs work together through a process called reciprocal inhibition. This means that when the agonist muscle contracts, the antagonist muscle relaxes, allowing for smooth and coordinated movement.

What happens if there is an imbalance between agonist/antagonist muscle pairs?

If there is an imbalance between agonist/antagonist muscle pairs, it can lead to decreased range of motion, poor coordination, and an increased risk of injury. It is important to maintain a balance between these muscle pairs through proper exercise and stretching.

How can I strengthen agonist/antagonist muscle pairs?

The best way to strengthen agonist/antagonist muscle pairs is to perform exercises that target both muscles in a balanced manner. This could include exercises such as bicep curls and tricep extensions for the upper arm, or hamstring curls and quadriceps extensions for the legs. It is also important to stretch both muscles after exercising to maintain flexibility and prevent imbalances.