Algabreic Manipulation of Sigma Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sigma notation in arithmetic, geometric, linear algebra, and differential geometry. The rules for algebraically dealing with sigma notation include adjusting the value of the index and injecting more or taking quantities out of the sum. The conditions for combining or pulling apart sums are also addressed. The conversation also touches on the behavior of infinite sums, where the order of addition matters and can result in different values.
r16
Even though this question deals mostly with arithmetic and geometic series, this notation is used in linear algebra and differential geomety quite a bit so I will inquire of this matter here.

What are the rules for algabreically dealing with sigma notation. When you change the value of an index from for example [itex]i=0[/itex] becomes [itex]i=1[/itex] how do you adjust the rest of the problem taking that transformation into account. Another question I have is how do you deal with injecting more into and taking quantities out of the sum, (passing through the sigma), and how that effects the rest of the sum. My final big concern is what conditions need to be met to combine / pull apart sums.

Of course any more rules or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluating_sums for the derivation of a general rule for an geometric series they have this proof:

[tex] S = \sum_{i=0}^{n} ar^{i} [/tex]
[tex] S-rS = S(1-r) = \sum_{i=0}^{n} ar^{i} - \sum_{i=0}^{n} ar^{i+1} =
a (\sum_{i=0} ^{n} r^{i} - \sum_{i=1}^{i+1} r^{i}) = a(1-r^{n+1}) [/tex]

I get confused when [itex] \sum_{i=0}^{n} ar^{i+1} [/itex] ends up as [itex] \sum_{i=1}^{i+1} r^{i} [/itex]. How does [itex]n[/itex] become [itex] i+1 [/itex] and [itex] i=0 [/itex] becomes [itex] i=1 [/itex].

I become futher confused on how the sums dissappear into the answer, how the [itex]i[/itex] becomes an [itex]n[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(The following applies to finite sums. Some things will change for infinite sums)

Remember that a sum really is just adding together every element in a given sequence, so all the properties of addition apply: in particular, the distributive, commutative, and associative rules.

As for indexing, when you're adding a bunch of numbers together, it doesn't matter in what order you do it, nor how you label the numbers: as long as the multiset of summands remains unchanged, the sum remains unchanged.

For example, the (n+1) summands in the expression [itex]\sum_{i=0}^n r^{i}[/itex] are exactly the same as the (n+1) summands in the expression [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} r^{n - i}[/itex], so the sums must be equal.

(p.s. you've made a typo in your proof of the geometric series formula)

thx that really helps: breaking it down back into addition. Ill remember that for the future

I have made a small edit to that wiki page now. That should clear things up a bit.

-- AI

How would things change if the series were an infinite series?

When an infinite sum is absolutely convergent, it tends to (always?) behave nicely. But otherwise, the order you do the addition matters: you can get different values by summing terms in different orders.

One example of this is if I'm adding infinitely many 1's and infinitely many (-1)'s.

I could alternate one of each, giving the sum

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} (1 + (-1)) = \sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} 0 = 0[/tex]

Or I could alternate between two 1's followed by a (-1):

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} (1 + 1 + (-1)) = \sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} 1 = +\infty[/tex]

Or, I could add up the 1's, then add up the (-1)'s, and find it doesn't exist:
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} 1 + \sum_{n = 0}^{+\infty} (-1) = +\infty + -\infty = \mathrm{D.N.E.}[/tex]

One can get this effect simply by reordering a summation too, without doing the regrouping I did above: see the Riemann series theorem.

TenaliRaman said:
I have made a small edit to that wiki page now. That should clear things up a bit.

-- AI

I had an inkling it was incorrect, i just didnt have the confidence to change it

Related to Algabreic Manipulation of Sigma Notation

What is algebraic manipulation of sigma notation?

Algebraic manipulation of sigma notation is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equations involving summation. It involves using algebraic rules and properties to manipulate the terms within the sigma notation to obtain a simplified expression.

What are the basic rules for manipulating sigma notation?

The basic rules for manipulating sigma notation include the distributive property, the commutative property, and the associative property. These properties allow us to rearrange and combine terms within the sigma notation to simplify the expression.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when manipulating sigma notation?

Common mistakes to avoid when manipulating sigma notation include forgetting to distribute the sigma notation to all terms within a parenthesis, mixing up the order of terms due to the commutative property, and forgetting to adjust the index of summation when combining expressions.

How is sigma notation used in real-life applications?

Sigma notation is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and physics to represent and solve problems involving repeated sums. It is also used in computer science and engineering to represent and solve algorithms.

What are some advanced techniques for manipulating sigma notation?

Advanced techniques for manipulating sigma notation include using partial fraction decomposition, telescoping series, and the binomial theorem. These techniques can be used to simplify more complex expressions involving sigma notation.