Algebra Problem with Capacitators

• Thread starter dempster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: You have done this when you say that you know the answer should be in terms of C1 and C2.If the capacitors are connected to a battery and then disconnected and the charge they hold then redistributed, the voltage on each will change.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving parallel capacitors and solving for one of the charges. The steps to solve the problem involve substituting equations and using algebraic manipulation. The final answer should be in terms of the capacitances. It is also important to consider the physical implications of the problem.
dempster

Homework Statement

Q0=Q1+Q2 Q1/C1 =Q2/C2 I substituted it Q1/C1=Q0-Q1/C2 then I got Q1=C1Q0-C1Q1/C2 but the answer has to be Q1=Q0C1/C1+C2 my algebra isn't good enough to solve it what are the steps that I have to take to make it to the answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please be more clear with your spacing and parentheses.
Are you saying that you have ## Q_0 = Q_1 + Q_2 \frac {Q_1}{C_1} = \frac {Q_2}{C_2} ?##
## \frac{Q_1}{C_1} = Q_0 - \frac{Q_1}{C_2}?##
This is very difficult to follow and does not make much sense.

Or are you saying that ## Q_0 = Q_1 + Q_2## and ##\frac {Q_1}{C_1} = \frac {Q_2}{C_2}##?
In any case, if you are solving for Q1, you should not have it in your answer as you did when you wrote:
##Q_1 = C_1Q_0 - \frac{C_1Q_1}{C_2}##.

If you have ## Q_0 = Q_1 + Q_2## and ##\frac {Q_1}{C_1} = \frac {Q_2}{C_2}##, then start by solving for Q2 in terms of Q1 from the second relation. Then substitute that into the first and solve for Q1.

Q0=Q1+Q2 I made that to Q2=Q0-Q1 Then this Applies Q1/C1=Q2/C2 I substituted Q2 and did everything times C1 so I got Q1= C1(Q0-Q1)/C2 but I know that the answer should be Q1= C1Q0/C1+C2 But I can't make the steps to make that happen?

Add ##\frac{C1Q1}{C2}## to each side.
Factor out Q1 on left.
Divide to solve for Q1.

" I know that the answer should be Q1= C1Q0/C1+C2"

You should bracket those last two terms otherwise apart from anything else it's physical nonsense, essentially a charge equal to a charge plus a capacitance. Would also have been better if you started by stating what you are looking to obtain.

It might be better to start with the equation relating two charges rather than three. Then you just get one charge in terms of the other (and the capacitances). Thus Q2 = Q1C2/C1
From which you can get
Q0 = Q1(1 + C2/C1)

Which you can throw into the form or your desired equation or else you could get that more directly.

This looks like being about how total charge distributes itself between two capacitors in parallel, so you should also think about it physically to realize the equations make sense. Your can eliminate various different parameters by choice, express all and any of the charges in terms of just one.

1. What is an algebra problem with capacitators?

An algebra problem with capacitators involves using algebraic equations to solve problems involving capacitors, which are electronic components that store electric charge and are used in circuits.

2. How do you calculate capacitance in an algebra problem?

To calculate capacitance in an algebra problem, you can use the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. You may also need to use other algebraic equations depending on the specific problem.

3. What are some common algebraic equations used in solving capacitator problems?

Some common algebraic equations used in solving capacitator problems include Ohm's law (V = IR), Kirchhoff's laws, and equations for series and parallel circuits.

4. How does algebra play a role in capacitator problems?

Algebra plays a crucial role in capacitator problems because it allows us to manipulate equations and variables to find unknown values and solve complex problems. Without algebra, it would be difficult to accurately calculate and understand the behavior of capacitators in circuits.

5. Can algebra be used to solve real-world capacitator problems?

Yes, algebra can be used to solve real-world capacitator problems. In fact, many engineers and scientists use algebra to design and troubleshoot electronic circuits that involve capacitators. By using algebra, they can accurately predict and control the behavior of capacitators in these circuits.