Alka seltzer in water question

In summary, the conversation discusses testing the pH of water with alka seltzer and the use of Bromothymol blue indicator to determine acidity. It is noted that the water becomes acidic due to the formation of CO2 bubbles from the alka seltzer. The confusion arises from alka seltzer being labeled as an antacid despite its acidic effect on water. The explanation is that the sodium bicarbonate in alka seltzer acts as a buffer, neutralizing stomach acid. Additional resources are mentioned for further understanding.
Abu
Hi everyone. I was testing the pH of water that had alka seltzer placed in it. I used Bromothymol blue indicator to see the pH. The color changed to yellow, which suggests that the water was now acidic. I assume this is because of the CO2 bubbles that form which can acidify the H2O. Am I correct?

I also do not understand why the alka seltzer is considered an antacid when it showed that it acidified the water (using the aforementioned pH indicator).

How does drinking an acidic solution neutralize stomach acids? It seems counter intuitive to me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. How does Alka seltzer work in water?

When Alka seltzer is added to water, it reacts with the water to produce carbon dioxide gas. This gas forms bubbles and causes the water to fizz. This reaction helps to break down the Alka seltzer tablet and release the active ingredients, such as aspirin and citric acid.

2. Why does Alka seltzer dissolve faster in warm water?

Alka seltzer dissolves faster in warm water because the molecules in warm water have more energy and move around more quickly. This increased motion allows for more collisions between the water molecules and the Alka seltzer particles, which helps to break them down and dissolve them faster.

3. Is Alka seltzer safe to use?

Alka seltzer is generally safe to use as directed. However, it is important to read and follow the instructions on the packaging carefully, as too much Alka seltzer can lead to side effects such as stomach upset and heartburn. It is also important to note that Alka seltzer should not be used by individuals with certain medical conditions or those taking certain medications. It is always best to consult with a doctor before using Alka seltzer.

4. How long does it take for Alka seltzer to work?

The time it takes for Alka seltzer to work can vary depending on factors such as the temperature and amount of water used, as well as individual differences. In general, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for Alka seltzer to fully dissolve and start providing relief for symptoms such as heartburn or upset stomach.

5. Can Alka seltzer be used for purposes other than relieving heartburn and upset stomach?

No, Alka seltzer is specifically formulated for treating heartburn and upset stomach. It should not be used for any other purposes unless directed by a doctor. Using Alka seltzer for other purposes may lead to unwanted side effects or interactions with other medications.