RLC Circuit Homework: Find L, Z, I, and P

In summary, the calculations for a series RLC circuit with R=75 ohms, C=20 mF and a resonance frequency of 5.0 kHz are as follows: (i) The value of inductance is 5.07e-7 H. (ii) The impedance of the circuit at resonance is 75 ohms. (iii) The rms current at resonance is 1.6 A with an rms voltage of 120 V. (iv) The average power consumed in the circuit at resonance is 192 W.
SilverAu

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit has R=75 ohms, C=20 mF and a resonance frequency of 5.0 kHz. (i) What is the value of inductance? (ii)What is the impedance of the circuit at residence? (iii)What is the rms current at resonance if the rms voltage of the power supply is 120 V? (iv) How much average power is consumed in the circuit at resonance?

Homework Equations

f=1/(2π√LC), z= √(XL-XC)^2 +R^2, I=V/Z and P=VI [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) What is the value of inductance?
f=1/(2π√LC)
L=1/4π^2 * 1/f^2C
1/(4π^2) * 1/[(50e3)^2(20^-6)]
L=5.07 e-7 H
(ii)What is the impedance of the circuit at residence?
z= √(XL-XC)^2 +R^2
z= √WL-1/WC)^2 +R^2
z= √[(314e3 * 5.07e-7)-(1/314e3 * 20e-6)]^2 +5^2
z= 75 Ohms
(iii)What is the rms current at resonance if the rms voltage of the power supply is 120 V?
I=V/Z
I=120/75
I=1.6 A
(iv) How much average power is consumed in the circuit at resonance?
P=VI
P=120* 1.8
P=192 W[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question about the problem? :)

Have you thougth about the power factor in (iv)?

Alettix said:
What is your question about the problem? :)

Have you thougth about the power factor in (iv)?
I just wanted to know if I was correct. Whether my process of thinking was correct and the numbers backed it up. The power factor is just p=1/2 VI cosϕ, correct? so is it then 1/2 [120*1.8 cos (0)]= 96 W.

SilverAu said:
A series RLC circuit has R=75 ohms, C=20 mF and a resonance frequency of 5.0 kHz. (i) What is the value of inductance? (ii)What is the impedance of the circuit at residence? (iii)What is the rms current at resonance if the rms voltage of the power supply is 120 V? (iv) How much average power is consumed in the circuit at resonance?
Are the capacitor units mF or μF? There's a 1000 times difference...

gneill said:
Are the capacitor units mF or μF? There's a 1000 times difference...
sorry microfarad (µF)

SilverAu said:
.The power factor is just p=1/2 VI cosϕ, correct? so is it then 1/2 [120*1.8 cos (0)]= 96 W.

Because there is resonance, the power factor is cos(0) = 1.
The average power is given by: P = Irms * Vrms * cos(θ)
so in your case: P = Irms * Vrms
If your calculated values for Vrms and Irms are right the power should be: P = 120 * 1,6 = 192 W as you have written.
(So I guess it was a typo to write P = 120 * 1,8 = 192 W :) )

I haven't checked the rest of the calculation in detail, but this part appears right to me.

Alettix said:
Because there is resonance, the power factor is cos(0) = 1.
The average power is given by: P = Irms * Vrms * cos(θ)
so in your case: P = Irms * Vrms
If your calculated values for Vrms and Irms are right the power should be: P = 120 * 1,6 = 192 W as you have written.
(So I guess it was a typo to write P = 120 * 1,8 = 192 W :) )

I haven't checked the rest of the calculation in detail, but this part appears right to me.
Yes, apologies it was a typo it is 1.6*120=192 W. If you could please check the rest of my work it would be great because this problem has been a pain in my side for a couple of days (:

SilverAu said:
z= √WL-1/WC)^2 +R^2
z= √[(314e3 * 5.07e-7)-(1/314e3 * 20e-6)]^2 +5^2

One more typo here (R=75Ω, and not R=5Ω), but otherwise I think it's right.

Alettix said:
One more typo here (R=75Ω, and not R=5Ω), but otherwise I think it's right.
Yes another typo lol...Thank you so much, all your help is greatly appreciated!

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components interact with each other to create a resonant frequency, which can be used in various applications such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators.

2. How do I calculate the inductance (L) of an RLC circuit?

The inductance (L) of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula L = V/Iω, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and ω is the angular frequency. Alternatively, if the values of the capacitance (C) and resonant frequency (f) are known, the inductance can be calculated using the formula L = 1/(4π²f²C).

3. What is the impedance (Z) of an RLC circuit?

The impedance (Z) of an RLC circuit is the effective resistance to the flow of current in the circuit. It is calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. The impedance of an RLC circuit is frequency-dependent and can be used to determine the resonant frequency of the circuit.

4. How do I find the current (I) in an RLC circuit?

The current (I) in an RLC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that I = V/Z, where V is the voltage and Z is the impedance. Alternatively, if the values of the voltage and resistance are known, the current can be calculated using I = V/R. The value of current in an RLC circuit can also be found using Kirchhoff's laws.

5. What is the power (P) dissipated in an RLC circuit?

The power (P) dissipated in an RLC circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred from the circuit to its surroundings. It is calculated using the formula P = I²R, where I is the current and R is the resistance. The power in an RLC circuit can also be calculated using P = VI, where V is the voltage and I is the current. The power factor, which represents the efficiency of the circuit, can also be calculated using the values of P, V, and I.