Alternating Series Test - No B_n?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series with the form Ʃ(-1/2)^k, where it is stated that if the series converges, the limit of B_n as n goes to infinity must equal 0 and B_n must be decreasing. The question is whether B_n is simply 1 or if there is a way to manipulate the equation to extract B_n. The answer is that there is indeed a B_n, as the series is actually Ʃ(-1)^n(1/2)^n.
FallingMan

Homework Statement

Ʃ(-1/2)^k from 0 to infinity.

Homework Equations

Ʃ(-1)^k*B_n from 0 to infinity

where if the series converges

1. lim of B_n as n goes to infinity must = 0
2. B_n must be decreasing

The Attempt at a Solution

It doesn't look like there is a B_n in the original equation at all. Do I manipulate it algebraically somehow to extract the B_n, or is there some clever trick?

Is the B_n simply 1? If if that's the case, lim of 1 as n goes to infinity would just be one, but apparently that's not true from checking the answer (which is it does, indeed, converge).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There quite obviously is a [itex]B_n[/itex].

Your series is [itex]\sum (-1)^n(1/2)^n[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
There quite obviously is a [itex]B_n[/itex].

Your series is [itex]\sum (-1)^n(1/2)^n[/itex].

I had to wrestle with my instinct that told me I'm not allowed to do that.. I guess I stand corrected.

Thanks a lot, HallsofIvy.

Related to Alternating Series Test - No B_n?

1. What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a method used in calculus to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It is specifically used for alternating series, which are series with alternating signs between terms.

2. What is the formula for the Alternating Series Test?

The formula for the Alternating Series Test is given by: ∑(-1)^n * a_n, where n is the index of the term and a_n represents the value of each term in the series. If the limit of a_n as n approaches infinity is 0 and the series is decreasing, then the series converges.

3. How is the Alternating Series Test used to determine convergence or divergence?

To use the Alternating Series Test, we first check if the series is alternating, meaning that the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. Then, we check if the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity is 0. If both conditions are met, then the series converges.

4. What happens if the series does not satisfy the conditions of the Alternating Series Test?

If the series does not alternate signs or if the limit of the terms is not 0, then the Alternating Series Test cannot be used. In this case, other tests such as the Ratio Test or the Integral Test may be used to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Can the Alternating Series Test be used if the series has no B_n term?

Yes, the Alternating Series Test can still be used if the series has no B_n term. The important criteria is that the series alternates signs and that the limit of the terms is 0 as n approaches infinity.