Always possible to obtain marginals from joint pmf?

• Thread starter jimholt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint
In summary, it is not always possible to obtain the marginals for a joint probability mass function. However, if the marginals for X and Y exist, then using the equation f(x,y) = f(x | y) \cdot f(y) will give the correct joint pmf.
jimholt
Obtain marginal probability mass function (pmf) given joint pmf

Not really a homework question, but it does have a homeworky flavor, doesn't it...

Homework Statement

Given a join probability mass function of two variables, is it always possible to obtain the marginals?
E.g., if I have a joint mass function for two Bernoulli random variables X and Y, like this:

[tex]
f(x,y) = \begin{cases} 1/2 & \mbox{if } (x,y) = (0, 1) \\
1/2 & \mbox{if } (x,y) = (1, 0) \\
0 & \mbox{otherwise} \end{cases}
[/tex]

Can I obtain the marginals for X and Y?

The attempt at a solution

I want to say yes, but if the marginals for X and Y are

[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases} 1/2 & \mbox{if } x = 0 \\
1/2 & \mbox{if } x = 1 \\
[/tex]

and
[tex]
f(y) = \begin{cases} 1/2 & \mbox{if } y = 0 \\
1/2 & \mbox{if } y = 1 \\
[/tex]

Then that produces a joint mass function

[tex]
f(x,y) = \begin{cases} 1/4 & \mbox{if } (x,y) \in \{(0, 0), (0, 1), (1, 0), (1, 1) \} \\ 0 & \mbox{otherwise} \end{cases}
[/tex]

which is clearly wrong.

So what's the right way to get at the marginals, assuming they, er, exist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your marginal probabilities are correct. But you don't get the joint distribution from the marginals by multiplying them together because they aren't independent. You can see that easily because, for example, if you know X = 1 you know Y isn't in the joint distribution.

Ah yes, thanks for that. I am rustier than I thought. Using the equation [tex] f(x,y) = f(x | y) \cdot f(y) [/tex] then since [tex]f(x=0|y=1) = f(x=1|y=0) = 1[/tex] and [tex]f(x=0|y=0) = f(x=1|y=1) = 0[/tex], I do indeed get the correct joint pmf.

But now, I am a little bit confused about the covariance between X and Y...

We know [tex]E(X)=1/2[/tex] and [tex]E(Y)=1/2[/tex]. And since [tex]XY[/tex] can only take the values 0 or 1, [tex]E(XY) = f(x=1)f(y=1)=(1/2)(1/2)=1/4[/tex] (is this right?).

Then using the equation [tex]Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y)[/tex], I get [tex]Cov(X,Y)=1/4-1/4=0[/tex], implying that X and Y are uncorrelated. Could that be right?

The probability that XY = 1 is zero from your joint distribution. 1*0 or 0*1 (or 0*0). E(XY) = 0.

Doh. Made the same mistake twice, didn't I?

I think I have it now. Cov(X,Y)=-1/4 and then

[tex]\rho_{XY}=\frac{Cov(X,Y)}{\sigma_X\sigma_Y}=-1.[/tex]

Makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for your help, LCKurtz!

What does obtaining marginals from joint pmf mean?

Obtaining marginals from joint pmf refers to the process of finding the probability distributions of individual variables from a joint probability mass function (pmf) that provides the probabilities of all possible combinations of the variables.

Why is it important to obtain marginals from joint pmf?

Obtaining marginals from joint pmf is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of individual variables separately, rather than looking at them as a whole. This can provide valuable insights and aid in decision-making.

Is it always possible to obtain marginals from joint pmf?

Yes, it is always possible to obtain marginals from joint pmf as long as the joint pmf is well-defined and the variables are discrete. This is because the marginal probability distributions can be calculated by summing over all possible values of the other variables.

What are some methods for obtaining marginals from joint pmf?

There are several methods for obtaining marginals from joint pmf, including the sum rule, product rule, and marginalization. These methods involve different mathematical operations, such as summation and integration, to calculate the marginal probabilities.

Are there any limitations to obtaining marginals from joint pmf?

One limitation is that obtaining marginals from joint pmf may not be possible if the variables are continuous rather than discrete. In this case, we would need to use techniques such as integration to find the marginal probability densities instead of simply summing over all possible values.