Am I able to get Autodesk CAD for free?

• Thread starter Emily R.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cad
In summary: AutoCADIn summary, the person is a high school student who is interested in using Autodesk CAD for personal use and to potentially explore engineering as a career. They are aware that educators and students can download CAD for free, but are unsure if using it on their personal computer and in their free time would still make them eligible for the free download. They are also considering other free CAD options such as Solid Edge and Google Sketchup.
Emily R.
I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting Autodesk CAD and sort of playing around with it and teaching myself how to use it. I used it during a quarter long class in 8th grade, which was three years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'm also looking into engineering as a career. I know that educators and students can download CAD for free. If I'm using it on my personal computer and in my free time, does that count as using it as a student and allow me to download it for free, or do I need to pay for it in that case?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You appear to be a student, try getting it and see what happens.

Emily R. said:
I'm a high school student and I'm interested in getting Autodesk CAD and sort of playing around with it and teaching myself how to use it. I used it during a quarter long class in 8th grade, which was three years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'm also looking into engineering as a career. I know that educators and students can download CAD for free. If I'm using it on my personal computer and in my free time, does that count as using it as a student and allow me to download it for free, or do I need to pay for it in that case?
The eligibility requirements for free software from Autodesk are listed here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/cust...account-access/education-program/who-can-join

You should check that your school meets these requirements as do you personally.

Likes berkeman
Wow, I never associated Autodesk with CAD before...oh my ignorance :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Wow, I never associated Autodesk with CAD before...oh my ignorance :smile:
Man, that's like saying you just found out Bill Gates dabbled with computers when he was younger. :wink:

SteamKing said:
Man, that's like saying you just found out Bill Gates dabbled with computers when he was younger. :wink:
He did? (kidding! :angel:)

But, really, I don't think it's THAT drastically disgraceful...I'm familiar with Autodesk based on this:
https://www.sketchbook.com/?locale=en

ProfuselyQuarky said:
He did? (kidding! :angel:)

But, really, I don't think it's THAT drastically disgraceful...I'm familiar with Autodesk based on this:
https://www.sketchbook.com/?locale=en
For years, Autodesk's only product was AutoCAD, then they started expanding their offerings not only in the CAD field, but also design, manufacturing, and visual presentation. AutoCAD was one of those programs which pushed the envelope of early PCs in terms of the resources needed to support it. For many years, AutoCAD was distributed on 10 floppy disks, and it took a while to install and get working properly.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Google Sketchup 8, free and a billion times easier to learn and use

1. Can I get Autodesk CAD for free?

Yes, Autodesk offers a free version of their CAD software called AutoCAD LT. This version has limited features and is only available for non-commercial use. However, there are also free trial versions of their more advanced CAD software, such as AutoCAD and Fusion 360, which can be used for a limited time.

2. How do I download the free version of Autodesk CAD?

To download the free version of Autodesk CAD, simply go to their website and search for the specific software you are looking for. Then, click on the "Free trial" or "Download now" button and follow the prompts to create an account and download the software.

3. Is the free version of Autodesk CAD compatible with my computer?

The compatibility of the free version of Autodesk CAD depends on the specific software and your computer's operating system. AutoCAD LT, for example, is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It is important to check the system requirements before downloading the software.

4. What features are included in the free version of Autodesk CAD?

The free version of Autodesk CAD, such as AutoCAD LT, typically includes basic 2D drafting and documentation tools. However, it may have limited or no access to advanced features such as 3D modeling and rendering. It is best to check the features list on the Autodesk website to see what is included in the free version.

5. Can I use the free version of Autodesk CAD for commercial purposes?

No, the free version of Autodesk CAD is only intended for personal or non-commercial use. If you plan to use the software for commercial purposes, you will need to purchase a license for the full version of the software. However, you can still use the free trial versions for commercial purposes for a limited time.