Amateur Astrography: Stitching Together Large Fields of View

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amateur
In summary: However, he is recovering from expensive holiday airfares and is considering spending that money on two 8" f4 astrographs instead. In summary, astrographs are specialized telescopes with fast speeds and large image circles. They require complex optical designs to achieve strict field flatness requirements. By stitching together multiple fields of view, astrographs can approach the performance of medium-format plates. One example of an astrograph is the North American Nebula in Cygnus, captured with a 400mm lens and containing over 400,000 stars. Dave and Andy are both interested in
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Astrographs are fast (f/4 or less) telescopes with large image circles (say 60mm or more); there are optical design considerations that make the specific designs somewhat more complex than 'regular' telescopes- primarily the strict field flatness requirement. While a 35mm format sensor is significantly smaller than medium-format plates associated with astrographs, by stitching together a few fields of view I can begin to approach that kind of performance. Here's 2 fields of view stitched (using Hugin), each image (stack) taken with a 400mm lens, providing an overall 5 x 5-degree field of view of the North American Nebula in Cygnus:

small%20astrograph_zpsypfcin3i.jpg

This image has been so severely downsized that it's hard to really appreciate; there are at least 408k stars filling in 8.5% of the image. If I printed this at maximum size (80 dpi), it would be 8 feet on a side- enough to cover a wall with this level of detail:

dark%20spot%202_1h_7m%20-%20dark_3h_21m-1_zpsj1sehnss.jpg

Likes Fervent Freyja, davenn, Greg Bernhardt and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Nice work Andy! Anyone else take any Astrographs?

Am looking at buying a f4 astrograph with either a 6" or 8" mirror. This will have a distinct advantage over my 9.25", f10 scope

just have to recover from the hugely expensive Christmas holiday airfares :frown:
for what that is costing me, I could buy 2 x 8" f4 astrographs optical assemblies

Dave

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is amateur astrophotography?

Amateur astrophotography is the practice of taking photographs of astronomical objects using amateur-level equipment and techniques.

What is stitching in amateur astrophotography?

Stitching is the process of combining multiple images of the night sky to create a larger, more detailed final image.

Why is stitching important in amateur astrophotography?

Stitching allows amateur astrophotographers to capture a larger field of view, allowing for more detail and a wider range of objects to be photographed.

What equipment is needed for stitching in amateur astrophotography?

To stitch together large fields of view in amateur astrophotography, you will need a camera, a telescope, a mount, and software specifically designed for astrophotography stitching.

What are some tips for successful stitching in amateur astrophotography?

To achieve successful stitching in amateur astrophotography, it is important to have a sturdy mount, take multiple images with overlapping areas, use the correct software, and practice with trial and error.