Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys

In summary: Ferrites are a type of material that has the ability to have a high magnetic permeability and electrical resistivity. They are also very stiff and difficult to work with. There are many different types of ferrites that can be found on the market, but one of the most popular is metglas. Metglas is a type of ferrite that is difficult to work with because it has sharp edges and lots of air spaces. However, it has the advantage of being very stiff and has a high magnetic permeability.
axi0m
"Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys"

Hello all,

In a project in which I'm looking to endeavor, I have a need for a material with high magnetic permeability and high electrical resistivity. In beginning my research, I came across this in Wikipedia:

"One can also make amorphous (non-crystalline) ferromagnetic metallic alloys by very rapid quenching (cooling) of a liquid alloy. These have the advantage that their properties are nearly isotropic (not aligned along a crystal axis); this results in low coercivity, low hysteresis loss, high permeability, and high electrical resistivity. A typical such material is a transition metal-metalloid alloy, made from about 80% transition metal (usually Fe, Co, or Ni) and a metalloid component (B, C, Si, P, or Al) that lowers the melting point."

This material sounds like a perfect fit for my project, with the added bonus of low hysteresis loss. Does anyone know of any commercially available material that fits this description?

Thanks

edit:
I've located a name for these materials, "soft ferrites." Also, manganese-zinc and nickel-zinc seem to be two available such compounds. Does anyone know of a supplier that would sell something like this in raw form, like in a sheet or rod?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

You're right, the materials you are searching for are called ferrites. If you Google "ferrites", you will see many manufacturers of these materials in a variety of shapes and sizes.

I believe you are talking about METGLAS. www.metglas.com

Did research on metglas about 10 years ago, and the conclusion was:
They give you all the advantages about metglas, but don't give you the disadvantages.
Metglas is very stiff and when layers are made from it, there are lots of air spaces.
On a volume basis, some nickel alloys have better characteristics than metglas.
Metglas is very difficult to work with. Sharp edges and very thin.

In the distant past have used ferrites made by Ceramic Magnetics www.cmi-ferrite.com
with good results.

Ferrites are completely different from metglas.

1. What are amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys?

Amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys, also known as metallic glasses, are a type of material that has a disordered atomic structure, similar to glass. They exhibit both ferromagnetic and metallic properties, making them useful in various applications such as magnetic storage devices and sensors.

2. How are amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys made?

These alloys are typically formed by rapid cooling, also known as quenching, of a molten metal. This process prevents the atoms from arranging themselves in a crystalline structure, resulting in an amorphous or non-crystalline structure. The cooling rate plays a crucial role in the formation of these alloys and can greatly affect their properties.

3. What are the advantages of using amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys?

One of the main advantages of these alloys is their unique combination of ferromagnetism and metallic properties. They have high strength, excellent corrosion resistance, and can be easily molded into complex shapes. They also have low coercivity, meaning they can be easily magnetized and demagnetized, making them ideal for use in magnetic sensors and devices.

4. What are the applications of amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys?

These alloys have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in magnetic storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards. They are also used in sensors, transformers, and motors. Additionally, they have potential applications in biomedical, aerospace, and energy industries.

5. What are the challenges in working with amorphous ferromagnetic metallic alloys?

One of the main challenges in working with these alloys is their production. The rapid cooling process required to form them can be difficult and expensive. Also, their properties are highly sensitive to the cooling rate, making it challenging to produce consistent results. Additionally, these alloys can be brittle and difficult to process, making it challenging to shape them into desired forms.