Magnetic anode for copper cathode battery

In summary, the speaker is looking for a potential anode alloy that is ferromagnetic to use with a copper cathode in a battery for a school project. They have structured the cathode cells in a squirrel cage design and want to test its performance with chemical and magnetic reactions. They are also looking for a material that will react more with copper than iron, as the casing of the battery contains iron. The speaker has found a list of soft and permanent magnets online, including a custom-made ferrite magnet made from epsilon iron(III) oxide, which they find desirable for an anode agent. They are open to suggestions and have provided a list of permanent magnets with their chemical compositions. The speaker has also mentioned the alloys Fe-Ni
shushi_boi
Hello everyone from the Physics Forums, I'm doing a school project and I'm looking for a potential anode alloy that is ferromagnetic which I could use with a copper cathode. I'm making a battery and I have to use copper as my cathode mainly because I have made the cathode cells structured similar to a squirrel cage because I want to test its design when induced with chemical and magnetic reactions (its a weird idea but I'm more than welling to report my results to anyone whose curious). And I also what to have a material that will react with copper more than iron because the casing will contain iron and I don't want the iron to react with the anode and cathode reactions (because it is part of the housing and also because the the copper cells have iron cores to help attract and induce the magnetic fields.

I have found a list of soft and permanent magnets online but I was very fascinated with having a costume made ferrite magnet made from
epsilon iron(III) oxide ε-Fe2O3 because this oxide is highly magnetic and it also has an oxide agent which in turn is desirable for an anode agent (just an idea of mine, testing with my limited funds).

Here is the list of some permanent magnets that I found online and their chemical composition, if anyone has any ideas I'm open up to any of them and if you need more information you may ask away!BaFe12O19

Barium-Iron Oxide
Alnico IV

Al-Ni-Co

12%-27%-5%
Alnico V

AlNiCo5

Al-Ni-Co-Cu-Fe

8%-14%-24%-3%-48%
Alcomax I

MnBi

Manganese- Bismuth
Ce(CuCo)5

Cerium-copper-cobalt
SmCo5

samarium-cobalt
Sm2Co17

samarium-cobalt
Nd2Fe14B

neodymium
Bismanol

BIMn,( N=2–20,M=0–7)

Bi5Mn3

Bi9Mn4

Bi10Mn5

Bi12Mn6
Chromium(IV) oxide

CrO2
ToughNEO™

(Nd , Pr)16.5Dy0.5Fe76(Nb , Ga , Al , Cu , Mn , Ti)1B6Al-Ni-Co-Cu-Fe

8%-14%-24%-3%-48%
http://www.jlcelectromet.com/alloys.htm

Fe-Ni

20%- 80%

Ni - Mo - Fe

79%-5%-16%
Mu-metal

Nickel-iron-copper&molybdenum

75%-15%-10% (high permeability, shield magnets)
Heusler alloy Cu2MnAl

Cu2MnIn

Cu2MnSn,

Ni2MnAl

Ni2MnIn

Ni2MnSn

Ni2MnSb

Co2MnAl

Co2MnSi

Co2MnGa

Co2MnGe

Pd2MnAl

Pd2MnIn

Pd2MnSn

Pd2MnSb

Fe-Ni-Co

54Fe-29Ni-17Co

Ni – Co – Mn – Si – C – Fe

25-32% _ 10-15% _ 0.1-2% _ 1% _ 0.001-0.5% _ and the Rest%
Fernico

Ni – Co – Fe

31%-15% – Rest %
Cunife

1 = Cu – Ni – Fe

60% – 20% – 20 %

2 = Cu – Ni – Co – Fe

60% – 20%- 2.5% – 17.5%

Gallium manganese arsenide

(Ga,Mn)As

(Ga – Mn) – As

31%-15% – Rest %

Metglas

FeBSiC (a metastable amorphous alloy)
Fe – B – Si – C

80% – The rest balanced %

Permalloy

Fe – Ni

20%-80%

Sendust

Fe – Si – Al

85% – 9% – 6 %Yttrium Iron garnet

Y3Fe2(FeO4)3, or Y3Fe5O12

Ni – Co – Fe

31% -15% – Rest %

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I hope this list will give you some ideas on what kind of ferromagnetic alloy I could use for my anode. Thank you for your help!

1. What is a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery?

A magnetic anode for copper cathode battery is a device that is used to convert chemical energy into electrical energy through the process of electrochemistry. It consists of a copper cathode, which is the positive terminal, and a magnetic anode, which is the negative terminal. The magnetic anode is made of a material that can be magnetized, such as iron or nickel, and helps to increase the efficiency and lifespan of the battery.

2. How does a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery work?

A magnetic anode for copper cathode battery works by using the magnetic field generated by the anode to increase the rate of the electrochemical reactions that occur at the cathode. This leads to a faster and more efficient conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy, resulting in a higher battery capacity and longer lifespan.

3. What are the benefits of using a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery?

There are several benefits to using a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery. It can help to improve the battery's performance, increase its energy density, and extend its lifespan. It also has the potential to reduce the size and weight of the battery, making it more suitable for portable devices. Additionally, the use of a magnetic anode can result in a more environmentally friendly battery, as it can reduce the need for toxic materials and decrease the battery's carbon footprint.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery?

While there are many benefits to using a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One potential issue is the cost of manufacturing the anode, as it may be more expensive than traditional anodes. Additionally, the use of a magnetic anode may require additional engineering and design considerations, as well as specialized manufacturing processes.

5. What are some potential applications for a magnetic anode for copper cathode battery?

A magnetic anode for copper cathode battery has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in portable electronic devices, such as smartphones and laptops, to improve their battery life and performance. It can also be utilized in the automotive industry to power electric vehicles and hybrid cars. In addition, it has potential applications in renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind power, to store and distribute energy more efficiently.