Ampere readings investigation

In summary, the speaker is working in an electrical company and is trying to find a method to ensure that the transformer LV side ampere readings are accurate, especially the neutral measurement. They thought that multiplying the r,s,t readings, which have a phase difference of 120, would help determine if the readings are correct. However, they are unsure if this is the right approach and are looking for alternative ways to investigate the readings. Additionally, they mention that neutral current can also include unbalance and third harmonic current, which can be measured with a spectrum analyzer.
Muhammad Saber
I'm working in electrical company in a department in which I receive transformer LV side ampere readings and in most of these readings the neutral has amperege due to unbalanced loading, all I need a method in which I be certain that these readings are actual measured values specially neutral measuremen to make reldistributing the load to the phases, I thought that when I multiply the r,s,t readings the phase between r,s,t which is 120 diffrence it will make me be sure that these phases reading are correct and the neutral amperege. Is that right , if not what is the way to investigate these readings.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Muhammad Saber said:
I thought that when I multiply the r,s,t readings the phase between r,s,t which is 120 diffrence it will make me be sure that these phases reading are correct

i cannot make sense of that sentence.

What are you multiplying by what ? and why ?

Muhammad Saber said:
and the neutral amperege
Neutral current includes both unbalance AND third harmonic current.
Electronic devices made before power factor correction was mandated draw a lot of third harmonic current that shows up in the neutral. .
You'll need to look at your neutral current with a spectrum analyzer to know how much of it is at line frequency(unbalance) and how much is at 3X line frequency(electronic loads).

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. What is an Ampere reading?

An Ampere reading is a measurement of electric current, which is the flow of electric charge. It is measured in Amperes (A) and is a fundamental unit of measurement in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is an Ampere reading measured?

An Ampere reading is typically measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is connected in series with the circuit and measures the amount of current flowing through it. The ammeter must be connected in a way that does not affect the circuit's operation.

3. Why is an Ampere reading important?

An Ampere reading is important because it allows us to understand and measure the flow of electric current in a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems, as well as for ensuring safety and efficiency in electrical devices.

4. What factors can affect an Ampere reading?

There are several factors that can affect an Ampere reading, such as the resistance of the circuit, the voltage applied, and the type of conductor being used. Temperature and the presence of other electrical components in the circuit can also impact the Ampere reading.

5. How can an Ampere reading investigation be conducted?

An Ampere reading investigation can be conducted by carefully setting up the circuit and measuring the current with an ammeter. The readings should be recorded and compared to expected values, and any discrepancies should be investigated further by adjusting the circuit or measuring other factors that may be affecting the Ampere reading.