Ampere's law for a larger diameter?

In summary, current density J may be used to calculate the magnetic field outside a wire if the current distribution is cylindrically symmetric.
PhiowPhi
Most of the problems I've worked on involve wires of small radii, however, if DC current flows within large radii of conductive wires, would I need to use current density ##J## for calculating the magnetic field at a point ## r > R## instead of ##I## if it we're known?

With relevance to a wires with large radii, would ampere's law change? Or still valid regardless of large or small radii? Also, in relation to that matter, does the Lorentz force alter with the change of geometry of the wire(e.g large radius, shorter lengths etc...)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure as to when current density ##J## might be used in calculating the magnetic field and Lorentz force acting on a wire placed in a magnetic field. If a clarification of that could be posted would greatly help.

PhiowPhi said:
Most of the problems I've worked on involve wires of small radii, however, if DC current flows within large radii of conductive wires, would I need to use current density JJ for calculating the magnetic field at a point r>R r > R instead of II if it we're known?
(I'm assuming R is the radius of the wire)

If the current density J is distributed with cylindrical symmetry around the axis of the wire, then you can use the total current I to calculate the magnetic field outside the wire. That is, you can pretend that the total current is "collapsed" into a line along the central axis of the wire.

This is analogous to the situation where you want to find the electric field outside a charge distribution: if the charge density ρ has spherical symmetry, you can pretend that the total charge is "collapsed" into a point at the center.

Likes PhiowPhi
Well, if the wire is carrying DC isn't it intuitive to assume current is uniformly distributed? Therefore, using ##I## would suffice for these types of problems?

I've done and assigned exercises in which the current distribution is not uniform, but is still cylindrically symmetric. I just wanted to touch all the bases, because around here, if I don't, someone will probably come along and do it for me. :oldeyes:

Related to Ampere's law for a larger diameter?

1. How does Ampere's law apply to a larger diameter?

Ampere's law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop. This means that for a larger diameter, the magnetic field will also be larger, as long as the current passing through the loop remains the same.

2. What is the mathematical equation for Ampere's law for a larger diameter?

The mathematical equation for Ampere's law is B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current to the point where the magnetic field is being measured. For a larger diameter, r would be larger, resulting in a larger magnetic field.

3. How does the diameter affect the strength of the magnetic field in Ampere's law?

The diameter affects the strength of the magnetic field in Ampere's law because it determines the distance from the current to the point where the magnetic field is being measured. The larger the diameter, the larger the distance, resulting in a larger magnetic field strength.

4. Does the shape of the loop affect the application of Ampere's law for a larger diameter?

No, the shape of the loop does not affect the application of Ampere's law for a larger diameter. As long as the loop is closed and the current passing through it remains the same, the magnetic field will be directly proportional to the diameter of the loop.

5. Can Ampere's law be used to calculate the magnetic field for any diameter?

Yes, Ampere's law can be used to calculate the magnetic field for any diameter as long as the current passing through the loop remains the same. This law is applicable to loops of any size, from small to large diameters.