How Is Ampere's Law Applied to Calculate Magnetic Fields?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who missed a lesson on applying a question to a formula. The PF member suggests that the student show some effort in researching the problem and provides some suggestions such as checking Hyperphysics and the lesson notes. The student then mentions that they have received help, but the PF member is unsure of the quality of that help. The problem at hand is finding the magnitude of a magnetic field from a 3.5 cm conductor with a current of 1.8 A, and the PF member explains that Ampere's law is not applicable and the Biot-Savart law must be used, with the location of the point being crucial.
This Is Me
Homework Statement
What is the magnitude of a magnetic field from a 3.5 cm straight conductor with a current of 1.8 A?
Relevant Equations
∫B.dl = μ0I
(I accidentally missed my lesson and I don't know how to apply this question to the formula)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Even if you missed the lesson, you need to show some effort before we can offer tutorial help. What have you found in your searching so far? Have you looked this up on Hyperphysics? Have you read over the lesson notes? Which textbook are you using?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Even if you missed the lesson, you need to show some effort before we can offer tutorial help. What have you found in your searching so far? Have you looked this up on Hyperphysics? Have you read over the lesson notes? Which textbook are you using?
I got some help, thanks though.

Likes berkeman
This Is Me said:
I got some help, thanks though.
I cannot imagine what kind of help you got. The statement of the problem is
This Is Me said:
Homework Statement:: What is the magnitude of a magnetic field from a 3.5 cm straight conductor with a current of 1.8 A?
To me, it says that you have a conductor, most likely a wire, that is 3.5 cm long which carries a current of 1.8 A. In that case, Ampere's law is not applicable and you have to (a) use the law of Biot-Savart and (b) know where in space the magnitude of the field is to be calculated. Another interpretation could be that the conductor is a very long wire (not explicitly mentioned in the statement) and the point of interest is at a distance of 3.5 cm from it (also not explicitly stated).

Likes Keith_McClary

What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the total electric current passing through the loop.

How is Ampere's Law used in practical applications?

Ampere's Law is used in many practical applications, such as designing electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of magnetic materials and in the development of magnetic storage devices.

What are the limitations of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is only applicable to steady currents and does not take into account changing electric fields. It also assumes that the magnetic field is constant and does not consider the effects of non-uniform fields or magnetic materials.

How is Ampere's Law related to other laws in electromagnetism?

Ampere's Law is closely related to Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Together, these laws form the basis of electromagnetic theory and are used to explain a wide range of phenomena in electromagnetism.

How can I solve problems using Ampere's Law?

To solve problems using Ampere's Law, you first need to identify the closed loop and the electric current passing through it. Then, you can use the equation BΔl = μ0Ienc to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point or to determine the current passing through the loop if the magnetic field is known.