Ampere's Law Problem: B-Field from a Current Distribution

In summary, the problem is that the first time I am attempting the Ampere's law problem, I am not sure if I am using the correct diagram. I then calculate the current using the equation and it is 4.8 amps.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
In a particular region there is a uniform current density of 15 A/m2 in the positive z direction. What is the value of ~ B· d'S when that line integral is calculated along the three straight-line segments from (x, y, z) coordinates (4d,0,0) to (4d, 3d, 0) to (0, 0, 0) to (4d, 0, 0),where d = 20 cm?
Relevant Equations
No equations available
This is the problem, first time i am attempting the Ampere's law problem

Amp1_Q.JPG

From the above question this is my attempt, the picture is
Amp1.JPG

∫B.ds = μ*Ienc; ----> Ampere law , where Ienc is the current enclosed in the amperian loop.
I assume the circle as the amperian loop, is it correct? Can i choose cylinder also?
I am not sure but i ended up doing this,
Ienc = 15 * 0.5*0.8*0.8 (Area of triangle * current) = 4.8 Amps
∫B.ds = μ*4.8 = 4*π*4.8 *10^-7 = 60.3*10^-7; Is it correct? Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Righthand side is ##3d##, not ##4d##

Sorry my mistake the updated figure and the calculations are
Amp2.JPG

The calculations are
Ienc = 15*0.5*0.8*0.6= 3.6 amps
∫B.ds = μ*3.6 = 4*π*3.6*10^-7 = 4.5*10^-6

Physicslearner500039 said:
Is it correct? Please advise.
PF isn't for stamp-approving homework -- we ask, guide and advise. You want to convince yourself that what you found is correct. Your own responsibility !

In this case, if I were to grade this and it's a physics class, I wouldn't give full marks for an answer without the dimension -- but then I wouldn't ask for a value either.

Likes Physicslearner500039
For full marks, I would also be looking for justification why you chose to substitute +3.6 A as opposed to -3.6 A in your equation.

Likes BvU and Physicslearner500039
Yes I am trying to understand the Amperes better. This is one of the doubts i have about it. In the diagram
Amp_doubt.JPG

from the book the loop which was considered as amperian loop, the net current is i1-i2, but my doubt is the one, i have highlighted as yellow (i could not color it perfectly) there is no current there, am I correct? Then why should it be i1-i2?

As another example
Amp_doubt1.JPG

The one again i colored as Yellow there is no current. The current is only inside the wire then why should i say the current is enclosed in the complete amperian loop? Please advise.

Look at the picture below. How many houses are enclosed by the circular street? I count 16. Does the central empty space make a difference to the number of houses enclosed by the street? Although it is true that one can build more houses within that space, the number of houses enclosed by this street in this picture is 16. What isn't there, doesn't count.
Housing.jpg

The same applies to currents enclosed by Amperian loops. The fact that you don't have any current flowing through some part of the loop does not affect the fact that you have +i1 and -i2 through other parts of the loop. Formally adding all these to get the total enclosed current gives $$i_{encl.}=+i_1+(-i_2)+0$$where the zero takes into account what is flowing through the yellow areas, namely nothing. See how it works?

Likes Physicslearner500039

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the electric current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's Law used to solve problems?

Ampere's Law can be used to solve problems involving the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a current-carrying loop. It allows us to calculate the magnetic field at a point in space by integrating over a closed loop surrounding that point. This is useful for understanding the behavior of magnets, motors, and other electromechanical devices.

3. What is a B-Field from a current distribution?

A B-Field, or magnetic field, from a current distribution refers to the magnetic field produced by a distribution of electric current. This can include a single wire, a loop of wire, or a more complex arrangement of wires. The B-Field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any point in space.

4. How do you find the B-Field from a current distribution using Ampere's Law?

To find the B-Field from a current distribution using Ampere's Law, you must first determine the closed loop that surrounds the point where you want to calculate the B-Field. Then, you must calculate the electric current passing through that loop. Finally, you can use Ampere's Law to calculate the magnetic field at the point of interest by integrating the B-Field over the closed loop.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has a wide range of applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design of motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in the development of magnetic levitation technology. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, Ampere's Law is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric circuits and the magnetic fields they produce.