Ampere's law: what if we have a magnetic field but no current

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displacement current and its relationship to magnetic fields and currents. The speaker mentions the example of a magnetic dipole and the presence of bound magnetic surface currents. They also reference a textbook and other sources to further explain the concept. Finally, they clarify that the displacement current shown in the conversation is different from the displacement current found in capacitors and electromagnetic waves.
Felipe Lincoln
Gold Member
If I have a magnetic field describing a closed path it means that this closed path is surrounding a current, right? But if I have no current, is it the displacement current ?
I'm thinking of a magnetic dipole, its magnetic field describes closed paths from its north to south pole, so is there a displacement current surrounding the longitudinal axis of a magnetic dipole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Felipe Lincoln said:
I'm thinking of a magnetic dipole, its magnetic field describes closed paths from its north to south pole, so is there a displacement current surrounding the longitudinal axis of a magnetic dipole?
No, it isn’t a displacement current. It is what is called a bound current.

Likes Felipe Lincoln and Charles Link
A single loop of current is a magnetic dipole.## \\ ## In the case of a solid cylindrical magnet of finite length, in one model used to describe the magnetic effects, the magnetism ## \vec{M} ## in the material results in bound magnetic surface currents which are geometrically equivalent to the currents of a solenoid.

Likes Dale and Felipe Lincoln
Wow, never heard of it.
Is it also given by ## \epsilon_0\dfrac{\partial \Phi_E}{\partial t}## ?

The magnetic surface currents are presented in Griffiths' E&M textbook. He presents them so quickly, without extra emphasis, that I think many students overlook them. He does a derivation involving the vector potential ## A ## for an arbitrary distribution of magnetic dioples, and then at the very end, he shows this is equivalent to having bulk currents with current density ## J_m=\nabla \times M ##, along with surface current per unit length ## K_m=M \times \hat{n} ##. ## \\ ## (i.e. you get the same ## A ## as you would from current sources that are the bulk current from the magnetization along with the bound surface currents, because ## A(x)=\frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \int \frac{J(x')}{|x-x'|} \, d^3x' ## from current sources ## J ##). ## \\ ## See also: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-field-of-a-ferromagnetic-cylinder.863066/
and
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/permanent-magnets-ferromagnetism-magnetic-surface-currents/ ## \\ ## And no, what you have shown ## I_D=\mu_o \epsilon_o \frac{\partial{\Phi_E}}{\partial{t}}## is the displacement current that can be found in a capacitor that is charging, as well as in transverse electromagnetic waves.

Last edited:
Likes Felipe Lincoln
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the electric current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space.

2. How does Ampere's law apply to a magnetic field with no current?

Even if there is no current passing through a loop, Ampere's law still applies. This is because a changing magnetic field can create an electric field, which can then induce a current in the loop. Ampere's law takes into account this induced current as well.

3. What happens if there is a current but no magnetic field?

If there is a current but no magnetic field, Ampere's law does not apply. This is because Ampere's law is specifically for relating the magnetic field to the current. In this case, other equations and principles in electromagnetism would be used to analyze the situation.

4. Can Ampere's law be used in non-closed loops?

No, Ampere's law is only applicable to closed loops. This is because the law involves taking an integral around the loop, which requires a complete path. If the loop is not closed, the integral cannot be calculated.

5. How is Ampere's law related to Gauss's law?

Ampere's law and Gauss's law are both fundamental principles in electromagnetism, but they apply to different quantities. Ampere's law relates the magnetic field to the electric current, while Gauss's law relates the electric field to the electric charge. Together, these laws form the basis of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.