Amusement park ride rotating about y.axis

• Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary: The friction and weight force are always in the vertical y direction. The centripetal force is always in the horizontal direction. So the minimum coefficient of friction will be when the rider is at the bottom of the y-axis.
aeromat

Homework Statement

An amusement park ride consists of a large
cylinder that rotates around a vertical axis.
People stand on a ledge inside. When the
rotational speed is high enough, the ledge
drops away and people “stick” to the wall.
If the period of rotation is 2.5 s and the radius
is 2.5 m, what is the minimum coefficient
of friction required to keep the riders from
sliding down?

Homework Equations

Rotational motion equations
Centripetal force/acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

All I really could manage to pick out from this eq. is the 'T'-period is 2s, the radius is 2.5m. I am not too sure as to what is providing the centripetal force. I think it is the frictional force that is required to keep them in circular motion, while the gravity applies in areas where they are the top of the ride. For this question, I am lost as to what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force is always the net force in the centripetal direction, toward the center of the curve. In this case, the centripetal force is a horizontal force. Identify what the horizontal contact force is, and solve for it using the cenrtripetal force equation in the x direction. Then look in the y direction to see what forces (contact, gravity) act in that direction.

The centripetal force is what's keeping the person going in a circle, but it is friction that will act vertically to oppose gravity. Since friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]N where 'N' is your normal force, what is your normal force equal to...

My normal force is equal to gravity; (m)(g)

Normal forces act perpendicular to the objects on which they act...since there is nothing under the person's feet to provide a normal force, there is no normal force in the vertical direction, just a gravity and friction force. Look in the horizontal direction to find the normal force.

But in terms of the minimum coefficient of friction, it will be when they are at the bottom of the y-axis? I think it makes sense that the maximum will be when they reach the peak of the y-axis, because friction and gravity together will make them slip down.

aeromat said:
But in terms of the minimum coefficient of friction, it will be when they are at the bottom of the y-axis? I think it makes sense that the maximum will be when they reach the peak of the y-axis, because friction and gravity together will make them slip down.
No, in this problem, this ride is moving in a horizontal circle, not a vertical circle. The rider is always at elevation y = 0 no matter where that person is during the motion. The centripetal force, which is the normal force here of the walls of the ride acting on the person's back, is in the horizontal direction. The friction and weight force are in the vertical y direction. If there is no slipping in the y direction, what can you say about these 2 forces acting in the y direction?

1. How does a ride rotating about the y-axis work?

A ride rotating about the y-axis typically consists of a central axis or pivot point and a series of connected seats or cars that rotate around it. The rotation is powered by a motor or other mechanical system, and the speed and direction of the rotation can be controlled by the operator.

2. What is the purpose of having a ride rotate about the y-axis?

Having a ride rotate about the y-axis adds an extra element of excitement and thrill to the ride experience. It can also provide a unique view and perspective of the surrounding area as the riders rotate through the air.

3. Are there any safety concerns with a ride rotating about the y-axis?

As with any amusement park ride, safety is a top priority. Rides rotating about the y-axis are designed and tested to ensure they meet safety standards and guidelines. Riders should always follow the safety instructions and restrictions provided by the ride operator.

4. What are the physics behind a ride rotating about the y-axis?

The rotation of a ride about the y-axis involves principles of rotational motion, such as torque and angular velocity. The design and placement of the seats also play a role in the physics of the ride, as they affect the center of mass and the distribution of forces acting on the riders.

5. Can anyone ride a ride that rotates about the y-axis?

The specific height, weight, and age requirements for a ride rotating about the y-axis may vary depending on the individual ride and its design. However, most rides of this type have height and age restrictions in place for safety reasons, and riders should always follow these guidelines.