An addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment

In summary: Something like nasal implants/or wearable devices (like a plug) with a sophisticated filtering system for very high risk people sounds more feasible than that. Some nasal cells are being targeted by the virus, not just only lung cells, so filtering immediately before entry into the nose would be a good preventative attempt in addition to masks.Can your substance applied in the nose daily...I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?Can your substance be applied daily to the nasal passage?I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
asking a question about this kind of personal protective equipment if it is possible
Hello all :

i am asking if there is a class of respiratory protective equipment , that can be installed inside the human body to support the normal PPE and reduce the possibility to getting infected buy some biological agent :

as virus size is between 50 to 160 nm , and the first area of infection is in the upper respiratory area , if we find a way to make the thermal movement of this size of particles or nano grains slower we would be able to lower the rate of infection and lower the rate of interaction between the spike protein and the receptors , of any virus like infection

i was planing to do a research into effecting the surface tension of the upper respiratory tract and creating differential viscosity in it , using some chemical substances that is available
in the market
the list that i was planing to investigate was the following :

the methods are :

preparing a liquid thinfilm that is resembling every component of the upper tract liquid with thickness between 50 nm to few micro meters
study the surface tension and viscosity , of them then dissolve the the materials in it with specific concentration , also in specific depth and see the changes of surface tension on every liquid thin film

then preparing liquid thinfilm that resemble the surfactant with different thickness starting from 50 nm until few micrometer
dissolving the above materials in different samples with different concentrations (and different depth)in combine until we reach the needed thermal speed which will make the virus multiplication (and infection to healthy cells) slow in the upper respiratory tractthis will not means that you can move without a mask but will means that the people who are working in highly infected places will have higher chance not to get infected for example they can use inhaler or tablets to effect their surfactant and then move and intract more freely i didnt do the needed research to publish or to have a paper or a data because i didnt find a supervisor who is interested and because my main field of expertise are in physics and this is more chemistry than physics

the papers that i was planing to read are the following https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3247641/

https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/acm/12/1/article-p12.xml?language=enhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3055904/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1827012_Motion_of_grains_droplets_and_bubbles_in_fluid-filled_nano-pores

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1944411_Wetting_and_particle_adsorption_in_nanoflows

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/30008880_Numerical_studies_of_thermal_hydrodynamics

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/nl9012369

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671574/

https://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1013&context=beyond (dont know if it is relevant )

there is also the need for simulation to reduce the needed number of experiments

and i had a main problem of how we can make the effect long enough without harming the person , as the surfactant is dynamic and not static which i couldn't find the answer to or didnt find where should i look for information on the movement profile , thickness changes , ...etc

in few days i will edit this thread and add the list of chemicals that i was suggesting Best Regards
Hagop George Bulbulian

Likes Lnewqban
Biology news on Phys.org
If you’re looking into developing PPE or have some ideas about combating COVID, try entering one of the challenges hosted by www.innocentive.com

Sign up for the challenge and check out the forums- you can team up or ask for advice like this there.

• Love
Likes docnet, BillTre and Tom.G
hagopbul said:
Summary:: asking a question about this kind of personal protective equipment if it is possible

i am asking if there is a class of respiratory protective equipment , that can be installed inside the human body to support the normal PPE and reduce the possibility to getting infected buy some biological agent :

I can think about a few challenges to the project. The mucosal cells of the respiratory tract constantly produces mucous and has moving cilia to remove foreign particles. Viruses commonly infect neighboring cells of the epithelia traveling directly from cell to cell via gap junctions.

Likes hagopbul
docnet said:
I can think about a few challenges to the project. The mucosal cells of the respiratory tract constantly produces mucous and has moving cilia to remove foreign particles. Viruses commonly infect neighboring cells of the epithelia traveling directly from cell to cell via gap junctions.

yes indeed but before they reach the epithilia they need to reach the cell layer

This sounds extremely dangerous. You need years of animal trials before even thinking of trying it on people.

Likes hagopbul, russ_watters and jim mcnamara
hagopbul said:
yes indeed but before they reach the epithilia they need to reach the cell layer

I can’t understand your idea. What you’re describing sounds too invasive and not well thought out. Increasing the viscosity seems like it would essentially drown or suffocate the person.

Something like nasal implants/or wearable devices (like a plug) with a sophisticated filtering system for very high risk people sounds more feasible than that. Some nasal cells are being targeted by the virus, not just only lung cells, so filtering immediately before entry into the nose would be a good preventative attempt in addition to masks.

Can your substance applied in the nose daily (like we use Ayr nasal gel saline) to capture and kill viral particles instead of being introduced into the lung? Because even if it were safe to do (?) you will still have a problem with the virus targeting nasal cells before it reaches the lungs. If your gel contains already approved safe topical ingredients, then you won’t have to go through human trials.

I do like your idea on preventing or slowing replication using a substance, just not in the lung! And we need to explore all possibilities, so looking at implants and wearable PPE is a good idea too! There are a lot of smart people here, but this just isn’t the place to share ideas or for using as a sound board (it’s forbidden?). You can develop your ideas and get better feedback at places like the one I linked earlier. It’s great that you’re trying to be helpful.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
These special suits are worn in labs that require handling dangerous airborne viruses such as ebola. Rather than being airtight, the suits have air constantly being pumped into them. It's the highest level of PPE against viruses in the laboratory. I do not own the photos.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 11.38.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 11.38.28 PM.png

Likes 256bits
What's the red thing - a document usage holder, or something else.

Likes Fervent Freyja
256bits said:
What's the red thing - a document usage holder, or something else.
The orange things are probably one-way exhaust valves. see below
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.54.13 AM.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman and 256bits
Fervent Freyja said:
I can’t understand your idea. What you’re describing sounds too invasive and not well thought out. Increasing the viscosity seems like it would essentially drown or suffocate the person.

Something like nasal implants/or wearable devices (like a plug) with a sophisticated filtering system for very high risk people sounds more feasible than that. Some nasal cells are being targeted by the virus, not just only lung cells, so filtering immediately before entry into the nose would be a good preventative attempt in addition to masks.

Can your substance applied in the nose daily (like we use Ayr nasal gel saline) to capture and kill viral particles instead of being introduced into the lung? Because even if it were safe to do (?) you will still have a problem with the virus targeting nasal cells before it reaches the lungs. If your gel contains already approved safe topical ingredients, then you won’t have to go through human trials.

I do like your idea on preventing or slowing replication using a substance, just not in the lung! And we need to explore all possibilities, so looking at implants and wearable PPE is a good idea too! There are a lot of smart people here, but this just isn’t the place to share ideas or for using as a sound board (it’s forbidden?). You can develop your ideas and get better feedback at places like the one I linked earlier. It’s great that you’re trying to be helpful.
Not into the lung that a big no no
Please read and you will seethe it is upper track

1. What is "An addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment"?

"An addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment" refers to any new or improved equipment that is designed to protect the respiratory system from harmful substances in the environment. This can include masks, respirators, and other devices that filter or purify the air being breathed in.

2. Why is there a need for an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment?

The need for an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment arises from the increasing presence of harmful substances in the environment, such as pollutants, toxins, and infectious agents. These substances can have negative effects on the respiratory system and can be especially dangerous for individuals with pre-existing respiratory conditions.

3. How does an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment differ from traditional equipment?

An addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment may differ from traditional equipment in terms of its design, materials used, and level of protection. It may also incorporate new technologies, such as advanced filtration systems or sensors, to enhance its effectiveness and usability.

4. Who can benefit from using an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment?

Anyone who is exposed to harmful substances in the environment can benefit from using an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment. This includes healthcare workers, industrial workers, and individuals living in highly polluted areas. It can also be beneficial for individuals with compromised immune systems or respiratory conditions.

5. How can I determine if an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment is effective?

The effectiveness of an addition to respiratory Personal Protection Equipment can be determined through various tests and evaluations, such as filtration efficiency tests, fit tests, and user satisfaction surveys. It is important to choose equipment that has been certified by regulatory bodies and has undergone rigorous testing to ensure its effectiveness.