An electrical circuits problem involving integrals, all rules given, tell me if right

In summary, the conversation involves the calculation of current and energy through a 3mF capacitor with a voltage of 60cos(4πt) V appearing across its terminals. The current through the capacitor is calculated using the equation i = C(dv/dt), while the energy stored in the capacitor is calculated using the equation w = C∫vdv. The correct answer is obtained when using v^2 as the integrand, while using sin(4πt)cos(4πt) as the integrand leads to an incorrect answer. This is due to using the incorrect value for dv/dt in the second calculation.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

A voltage of [tex] 60cos(4 \pi t) V [/tex] appears across the terminals of a 3mF (milli-farad) capacitor. (which is equal to .003 F [farad]).

Calculate the current through the capacitor and the energy stored in it from t=0 to t=.125 s

Homework Equations

Current through an ideal linear capacitor is given by:

[tex] i = C \frac {dv}{dt} [/tex]

where C is the capacitance in farads and dv/dt is the derivative of the voltage.

Power stored in a capacitor over time is given by:

[tex] w = C \int_{- \infty}^{t} v \frac {dv}{dt} dt = C \int_{v(t_{- \infty})}^{V(t)} v dv [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] C= .003 F [/tex]

[tex] v= 60cos(4 \pi t) [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dv}{dt} = -60sin(4 \pi t) (4 \pi) =-240 \pi sin(4 \pi t) [/tex]

so current is then:

[tex] i = C \frac {dv}{dt} = (.003) (-240 \pi sin(4 \pi t) = -.72 \pi sin(4 \pi t)[/tex]

No questions there, now on to energy. I did this two different but equal ways and got the correct answer one way but not the other. Can someone help me see why? First the method leading to the correct answer:

[tex] w = C \int_{0}^{.125} v dv = \frac {C}{2} (v^{2}) = \frac {C}{2} (3600cos^{2} (4 \pi t))[/tex]

evaluate v^2 at 0 and .125 and you get (note I am aware I could change the limits to V(t) but chose to change back to t):

[tex] \frac {C}{2} (0-3600) = \frac {.003*-3600}{2} = -5.4 J [/tex]

so this is the correct answer, now if I do the same integral but sub in different (but equal!) statements I get the wrong answer:

[tex] w = C \int_{0}^{.125} v \frac {dv}{dt} dt = c \int_{0}^{.125} (60cos(4 \pi t))(-.72 \pi sin(4 \pi t)) dt [/tex]

now all I did was sub in values found before for dv/dt and we were given v. Now if I integrate this with respect to t shouldn't this be the same as before?

Combine all constants and move them out of the integrand:

[tex] C \int_{0}^{.125} -43.2 \pi sin(4 \pi t)cos(4 \pi t) dt = -.1296 \pi \int_{0}^{.125} sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t) dt [/tex]

note that on the second step here I used the value C=.003 so .003*-43.2=-.1296 and also moved the pi constant out. Now this can be solved with the identity:

[tex] \int sin(ax)cos(ax) dx = -\frac {1}{2a} cos^{2} (ax) +C [/tex]

[tex] -.1296 \pi \int_{0}^{.125} sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t) dt = -.1296 \pi (-\frac {1}{8 \pi} cos^{2}(4 \pi t)) [/tex]

this needs to be evaluated, notice though that we get the cos^2 like before but the coefficient is all out of whack, its not even close to what it should be, evaluating this at 0 and .125 you get:

[tex] -.1296 \pi ( 0 + \frac {1}{8 \pi}) = \frac {-.1296 \pi}{8 \pi }= \frac {-.1296}{8} = - \frac {81}{500} = -.162J [/tex]

whats up with that? Did I do something wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nevermind,

I figured it out, I used the value found for i instead of the value for dv/dt. If i use the proper value all is well. Thanks though!

1. How do I solve an electrical circuits problem involving integrals?

To solve an electrical circuits problem involving integrals, you will first need to understand the basic principles of circuits and integrals. Then, you can apply the rules given in the problem to set up and solve the integral equations.

2. What are the rules that I need to know to solve an electrical circuits problem with integrals?

The rules for solving an electrical circuits problem with integrals include Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the properties of capacitors and inductors. These rules will help you set up the integral equations correctly.

3. Can you explain Kirchhoff's laws and how they relate to solving electrical circuits problems with integrals?

Kirchhoff's laws state that the sum of currents entering and leaving a junction must be equal, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the voltage source. These laws help you determine the equations that need to be integrated in an electrical circuits problem.

4. How do I know if my solution to an electrical circuits problem involving integrals is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by verifying that it satisfies all the given rules and equations. Additionally, you can use simulation software or consult with a peer or instructor to confirm your answer.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on an electrical circuits problem involving integrals?

If you are stuck on an electrical circuits problem involving integrals, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving each part separately. You can also seek help from a colleague or instructor, or consult additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.