An elementary equation manipulation in CFT

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating equations in 2-d conformal field theory, specifically in the case of a Euclidean metric. The initial equation on the right is clear, but there is confusion about how to get to the first equation on the left. The suggested method is to first set μ = ν = 0 and calculate, then set μ = ν = 1 and compare the results. However, there is still confusion about how to make the equations add up. The conversation then delves into discussing the definition of η and how to compute δ0ε0 and δ1ε1. Eventually, it is realized that ∂⋅ε is a sum and the result is found to be 2∂
Lapidus
A presumably basic introductory equation manipulation in 2-d conformal field theory. How does from
upload_2015-11-13_21-52-51.png

(when the metric is Euclidean) follow
upload_2015-11-13_21-53-14.png

The right equation is clear (the metric is zero for different indices). But how do i get to the first equation on the left?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
set μ = ν = 0 and calculate, then μ = ν = 1 and compare the results

fresh_42 said:
set μ = ν = 0 and calculate, then μ = ν = 1 and compare the results

Thanks for the reply! But I don't understand what you mean. If I set zero or one, then RHS and LHS do not add up, in either case.

0ε0 + ∂0ε0 = ∂0ε0

??

I do not know for sure how ##η## is defined. Since you did not explain it and I'm too lazy to search what you might have meant, I supposed ##η## to be the Kronecker symbol according to your calculation above.
If I then first compute ##δ_0 ε_0 = ...## and next ##δ_1 ε_1 = ...## then I get the same result, i.e. they are equal.

Lapidus said:
Thanks for the reply! But I don't understand what you mean. If I set zero or one, then RHS and LHS do not add up, in either case.

0ε0 + ∂0ε0 = ∂0ε0

??

Since presumably ##\partial\cdot \epsilon = \partial_0 \epsilon_0+\partial_1 \epsilon_1## in your conventions, you should have found ##2\partial_0 \epsilon_0 = \partial_0 \epsilon_0+\partial_1 \epsilon_1## for the 00 component.

Likes Lapidus
Ahaa. I did not understand that ∂⋅ε is a sum. (or an inner product)

Thanks everybody!

1. What is "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT"?

"An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" refers to a mathematical process used in conformal field theory (CFT) to manipulate equations and solve problems related to the theory. CFT is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the properties of systems that exhibit conformal symmetry.

2. Why is "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" important?

"An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" is important because it allows scientists to solve complex problems and understand the behavior of physical systems that exhibit conformal symmetry. This is essential in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory and statistical mechanics.

3. How is "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" different from other mathematical techniques?

"An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" is a specific technique used in the context of conformal field theory. It involves manipulating equations in a way that preserves the conformal symmetry of the system, which leads to solutions that can be used to make predictions and test theories.

4. Can "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" can be applied to other areas of physics that involve conformal symmetry. This includes areas such as string theory, high-energy physics, and condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT"?

Like any technique, "An elementary equation manipulation in CFT" has its limitations. It may not be applicable to systems that do not exhibit conformal symmetry, and it may not always lead to exact solutions for complex problems. However, it is still a valuable tool for understanding and solving problems in conformal field theory.