An Error Formula for Linearization (involving second Derivative)

In summary, the student is attempting to solve for the error in a function by using the second derivative and connecting it to the original function. However, he is having difficulty understanding the connection between the two formulas. He wants to be able to understand it well, so he is hoping to attach a screenshot that will help him do so.
EEristavi

Homework Statement

In textbook i was given formula to calculate error.

I know that:
E(t) = f(t)- L(x) = f(t) - f(a)- f'(a)(t- a) [L(x) is linear approximation]; [Lets call this Formula 1]

I understand that, but that I have formula:
E(x) = f''(s)/2 * (x-a)^2 [lets call this Formula 2]
Here I was given Prove that this is correct, by going from formula 2 to formula 1.

Homework Equations

[/B]
L(x) = f(a)+f'(a)(t- a)

ex.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can't connect this 2 formulas to each other logically and i don't want just tu remember (i want to understand it well)

P.S. I will attach screenshot if I didnt explain everything.

Physics news on Phys.org
The error term is essentially the next term in the Taylor expansion. (## f(x)=f(a)=f'(a)(x-a)+\frac{1}{2} f''(a)(x-a)^2+...##). The first two terms in the Taylor expansion of the function gives you a straight line. If there is a quadratic term in computing the Taylor expansion of the function, that is the error (from the straight line being the exact result), the one difference being instead of computing the second derivative at ## x=a ##, they compute it at some point on the interval (a,x) for some ## s ## and ignore the higher order (3rd order, 4th order, etc.) terms. It should allow you to assign error bars to the straight line approximation where the second order term is ignored. Hopefully this explanation was helpful.

EEristavi said:

Homework Statement

In textbook i was given formula to calculate error.

I know that:
E(t) = f(t)- L(x) = f(t) - f(a)- f'(a)(t- a) [L(x) is linear approximation]; [Lets call this Formula 1]

I understand that, but that I have formula:
E(x) = f''(s)/2 * (x-a)^2 [lets call this Formula 2]
Here I was given Prove that this is correct, by going from formula 2 to formula 1.

Homework Equations

[/B]
L(x) = f(a)+f'(a)(t- a)

View attachment 208528

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can't connect this 2 formulas to each other logically and i don't want just tu remember (i want to understand it well)

P.S. I will attach screenshot if I didnt explain everything.

The attachment seems clear enough: it is expressing the error of the "linear" approximation as an expression involving the second derivative. It derives everything in detail, so I cannot figure out what is your difficulty. However, an alternative explanation is the following.

For an "analytic" function ##f(x)## we may express the result exactly as a series about the point ##x = a##:
$$ f(x) = f(a) + f'(a) (x-1) + \underbrace{f^{\prime \prime}(a) (x-a)^2 /! + f^{\prime \prime \prime }(a) (x-a)^3/3! + \cdots}_{\text{infinite series involving all derivative orders}} $$
that involves an infinite series of second, third, fourth, fifth ... derivatives. So, the exact error in using the first two terms (constant + linear) consists of the infinite series that we are omitting. Estimating the error from the infinite series is not very practical, so we look for a simpler expression. Magically, it turns out that
$$f^{\prime \prime}(a) (x-a)^2 /2! + f^{\prime \prime \prime }(a) (x-a)^3/3! + \cdots = f^{\prime \prime}(\xi) (x-1)^2/2!$$
for some value ##\xi## that lies between ##a## and ##x##. Basically, that is what the attachment establishes, but does it in another way (and also does it for functions that are not "analytical" and so could not be expanded in an infinite series like one above).

Usually we cannot figure out what is the actual value of ##\xi##, but we can usually develop error bounds by finding a reasonable estimate of the maximum of ##|f''(\xi)|## on the interval between ##a## and ##x##. That is, if ##M## is the maximum (or more) of ##|f''|## on the interval, then we know that the size of the error is does not exceed ##M (x-a)^2/2##. Sometimes we may not be able to determine an exact maximum of ##|f''|## on the interval, but can, instead, determine a larger value of ##M## than the maximum. We can just go ahead and use that ##M## in the error bound.

Likes BvU and Charles Link

1. What is the purpose of an error formula for linearization?

The purpose of an error formula for linearization is to provide a way to estimate the error or uncertainty in a linear approximation of a function. This is important in many scientific and engineering applications where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

2. How is the error formula for linearization derived?

The error formula for linearization is derived using the Taylor series expansion of a function. By using the first and second derivative terms, the formula can be simplified to give an expression for the error in the linear approximation.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in the error formula for linearization?

The second derivative represents the curvature of the function at a given point. This curvature is important because it affects the accuracy of the linear approximation. The larger the second derivative, the greater the error will be in the linear approximation.

4. Can the error formula for linearization be used for any function?

No, the error formula for linearization is specifically for functions that can be approximated by a linear function. This means that the function must be continuous and differentiable at the point of approximation.

5. How can the error formula for linearization be used in practical applications?

The error formula for linearization can be used to determine the accuracy of measurements and calculations in various scientific and engineering fields. It can also be used to determine the sensitivity of a system to changes in input variables, which is important in design and optimization processes.