An interior Dirichlet problem for a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses an interior Dirichlet problem for a circle and the Fourier expansion of the boundary conditions. The books answer is given as $$U(r,\Theta) = \frac{r}{2}sin\Theta + \frac{2}{\pi}(\frac{1}{2} - \frac{r^2}{3}cos(2\Theta)-\frac{r^4}{15}cos(4\Theta)-\frac{r^6}{35}cos(6\Theta)...)$$ and the conversation participants are trying to understand how to arrive at this answer. The conversation also includes a discussion on computing integrals and determining the values of A0 and An in the Fourier expansion
fahraynk

Homework Statement

$$
\bigtriangledown^2=0 for : 0<r<1 \\
BC : u(1,\Theta)= sin(\Theta), 0<\Theta<\pi \\ u(1,\Theta)= 0, pi<\Theta<2\pi \\

$$
Basically its an interior dirichlet problem for a circle. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is supposed to be $$U(r,\Theta) = \Sigma r^n[a_n cos(n\Theta) + b_n sin(n\Theta)$$
and the a_n, b_n is basically a Fourier expansion of the boundary conditions.
The books answer is :

$$ \frac{r}{2}sin\Theta + \frac{2}{\pi}(\frac{1}{2} - \frac{r^2}{3}cos(2\Theta)-\frac{r^4}{15}cos(4\Theta)-\frac{r^6}{35}cos(6\Theta)...)$$

Now, I can't seem to get hte Fourier expansion right I guess, because I don't get this answer.

Heres my attempt ...

$$a_n = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}sin(n\Theta)cos(n\Theta)d\Theta = 0

\\
b_n = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}sin^2(n\Theta) = \frac{1}{\pi}
\\
a_0 = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}sin\Theta d\Theta = 0

$$

Cant think of how to make this Fourier expansion into the books answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you computing the integral with ##\sin(n\Theta)##? The boundary condition is ##\sin(\Theta)## ...

Also, the integral of sine over half a period is not zero.

Thanks!

'okay I am getting 2/pi + summation [4/pi * [0.5 - r^n/(1-n^2)]cos(nx)]
The Bn term goes to 0 (per wolfram). A0 = 2/pi, An = 2/pi * cos(n*pi +1)/(1-n^2)

Is the books answer wrong? I don't know where their sin term comes from because the Bn integral is 0...

NVM i figured it out can't delete last post for some reason.

1. What is an interior Dirichlet problem for a circle?

An interior Dirichlet problem for a circle is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given boundary condition on a circle. The function must also satisfy a specific partial differential equation within the circle.

2. What is the significance of the Dirichlet problem for a circle?

The Dirichlet problem for a circle is significant because it is a fundamental problem in the field of partial differential equations. It has applications in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How is the interior Dirichlet problem for a circle solved?

The interior Dirichlet problem for a circle is typically solved using the method of separation of variables. This approach involves breaking down the problem into simpler sub-problems, solving them individually, and then combining the solutions to obtain the final solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of the interior Dirichlet problem for a circle?

The interior Dirichlet problem for a circle has applications in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to model and solve problems related to the flow of heat, fluids, and electric fields in circular domains.

5. Are there any limitations to the interior Dirichlet problem for a circle?

One limitation of the interior Dirichlet problem for a circle is that it can only be applied to circular domains. It cannot be extended to solve problems in irregular or non-circular domains. Additionally, the method of separation of variables may not always yield a closed-form solution, making it necessary to use numerical methods to obtain a solution.