Nuclear weapons physics (I need a Bibliography)

In summary, the conversation is about finding bibliography for the physics of nuclear weapons, specifically related to the Manhattan Project. The person has tried searching and found limited information, but is looking for more in-depth and technical explanations. They recommend some books and articles for further reading.
CanoJones
Summary:: I need some bibliography about the phyics of nuclear weapons (manhattan project-like) for an essay.

I've been googling and tried to find some bibliography for the topic, but have found very little (most of the stuff I found was abut the history rather than the proper nuclear physics), I have studied nuclear physics and fission so I'm not looking just for cualitative explanations. The best thing I found for now is https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-662-43533-5.
Do any of you know any book/paper that could help? Thanks in advance.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
The Wikipedia articles have various references that you can check.

Likes vanhees71
I recommend the books The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes as general history. They are excellent reads.

Also, there is The Physics of the Manhatten Project, and The Science and Science and History of the Manhatten Project by Bruce Cameron.

Likes vanhees71
Oldies but goodies

"Atomic Energy...," Smyth 9780266417729
"Los alamos primer," Serber 0520344170

CanoJones said:
Summary:: I need some bibliography about the phyics of nuclear weapons (manhattan project-like) for an essay.
Are you sure that this is only for the essay? :wink:

1. What is nuclear weapons physics?

Nuclear weapons physics is the study of the physical principles and processes involved in the creation, functioning, and effects of nuclear weapons. This includes understanding the properties of radioactive materials, nuclear reactions, and the release of energy from nuclear fission and fusion.

2. How do nuclear weapons work?

Nuclear weapons work by harnessing the energy released from nuclear reactions, specifically nuclear fission or fusion. In fission weapons, a chain reaction is initiated by bombarding a fissile material, such as uranium or plutonium, with neutrons. This results in the splitting of atoms and the release of a large amount of energy. In fusion weapons, the energy from a fission reaction is used to compress and heat hydrogen isotopes, causing them to fuse and release even more energy.

3. What are the potential effects of a nuclear weapon?

The effects of a nuclear weapon can be devastating and far-reaching. The immediate effects include a blast wave, thermal radiation, and intense radiation exposure, which can cause death, injury, and destruction of buildings and infrastructure. The long-term effects include radiation sickness, genetic mutations, and environmental damage, which can have lasting impacts on human health and the ecosystem.

4. How are nuclear weapons tested?

Nuclear weapons are typically tested by detonating them in a controlled environment, such as a remote desert or underground facility. This allows scientists to observe and measure the effects of the explosion and gather data on the weapon's performance. However, many countries have signed treaties to limit or ban nuclear weapons testing due to the potential health and environmental hazards.

5. How do scientists ensure the safety and security of nuclear weapons?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the safety and security of nuclear weapons. This includes rigorous testing and simulations to ensure the proper functioning of the weapon, as well as strict protocols for handling and storing the weapons to prevent accidental detonation. Additionally, there are international agreements and regulations in place to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons and to ensure their secure storage and disposal.