An open source program to take notes in latex

In summary, DeusAbscondus is looking for note-taking software that allows writing in LaTeX, similar to Sticky Notes but with searchability. Sudharaka provides a list of programs with LaTeX support, specifically recommending Zim, which DeusAbscondus loves using.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks, the subject line says it.

I'm currently using geogebra as a note book in which to write "memory cards" in latex.
You know the sort of thing: when you learn a new formula and want to keep it in virtual "card" form.

I love Sticky Notes, but I can't get latex on to them.

does anyone know of a progy that has the functionality of sticky notes (searchability too) but allows you to write in latex

thx,

Deus Abs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
Hi folks, the subject line says it.

I'm currently using geogebra as a note book in which to write "memory cards" in latex.
You know the sort of thing: when you learn a new formula and want to keep it in virtual "card" form.

I love Sticky Notes, but I can't get latex on to them.

does anyone know of a progy that has the functionality of sticky notes (searchability too) but allows you to write in latex

thx,

Deus Abs

Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

Here is a list of note-taking software that you can try out. Notice that there are some programs like Emacs and Zim that gives LaTeX support. Also with reference to this it seems that Zim maybe something that you will be interested in.

I haven't tried them, so don't know whether they will meet your particular needs. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

Here is a list of note-taking software that you can try out. Notice that there are some programs like Emacs and Zim that gives LaTeX support. Also with reference to this it seems that Zim maybe something that you will be interested in.

I haven't tried them, so don't know whether they will meet your particular needs. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Zim is a blast!
I went, I saw, I got, now I use... all the time! ... and for everything:rolleyes:

thanks Sudharaka; you're a gem!
Deus Abs

DeusAbscondus said:
Zim is a blast!
I went, I saw, I got, now I use... all the time! ... and for everything:rolleyes:

thanks Sudharaka; you're a gem!
Deus Abs

You are welcome. :)

condis

Dear Deus Abscondis,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using geogebra as a note-taking tool in latex. It's great to hear that you have found a way to organize your formulas and concepts in a virtual "card" format.

In response to your question, there are actually several open source programs available that allow you to take notes in latex. Some popular options include Joplin, Turtl, and Zim. These programs offer features such as searchability and the ability to write in latex, making them great alternatives to Sticky Notes.

I would suggest exploring these options and finding the one that best fits your needs and preferences. Thank you for your interest in open source programs and good luck with your note-taking endeavors.

Best,

1. What is an open source program?

An open source program is a software program whose source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute. This means that the code is open to the public, allowing for collaboration and improvement by a community of developers.

2. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for the creation of documents, particularly those with mathematical or scientific content. It is known for its high-quality typesetting and ability to handle complex equations and formulas.

3. How is taking notes in LaTeX different from other note-taking programs?

Taking notes in LaTeX allows for more flexibility and customization compared to other note-taking programs. With LaTeX, users have complete control over the formatting and layout of their notes, and can easily incorporate mathematical and scientific equations.

4. Is this program suitable for all levels of LaTeX users?

Yes, this open source program is designed to be user-friendly for all levels of LaTeX users. It provides a simple and intuitive interface for beginners, while also offering advanced features for more experienced users.

5. Are there any limitations to using an open source program for note-taking in LaTeX?

There are no inherent limitations to using an open source program for note-taking in LaTeX. However, as with any software, there may be occasional bugs or compatibility issues that arise. The open source community is constantly working to improve and update the program, so any issues can be addressed in a timely manner.