An optics problem - elliptical lens and plane waves

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem where the goal is to show that a point source placed at one of the focii will produce a plane wave when the light is refracted through an interface. The person has spent three hours trying to solve it and has attempted to use Fermat's theorem and the equation of an ellipse. They have also encountered a problem with the refractive indices but have since realized their mistake. They have not received any help but have managed to solve the problem on their own.
pergradus

Homework Statement

I must show that a point source placed at one of the focii will produce a plane wave (or vise versa) when the light is refracted through the interface. This problem is really kicking my ***, I've spent at least three hours trying to figure out different ways to do it...

Homework Equations

I tried writing the OPL such that y satisfies the equation of an ellipse centered at the origin. I apply Fermat's theorem, differentiate with respect to x and set this equal to zero.

The result should satisfy the initial condition that n2 > than n1 but I seem to get the opposite.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached picture!

Attachments

• CIMG0015.jpg
    CIMG0015.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
I just figured out my mistake. The OPL should just be proportional to the distance traveled times the refractive index, not 1/refractive index. The letter will give 1/time rather than just time which is what I'm looking for.

I didn't get any help but I managed to follow the train of logic on my own :smile:

Pergradus did you ever solve this problem and if so how

Related to An optics problem - elliptical lens and plane waves

1. How does an elliptical lens affect plane waves?

An elliptical lens can affect plane waves in several ways. First, it can change the direction of the waves by bending or refracting them. Second, it can change the shape of the waves by focusing or diverging them. Third, it can introduce phase shifts in the waves, altering their overall properties.

2. What factors affect the behavior of plane waves passing through an elliptical lens?

The behavior of plane waves passing through an elliptical lens is affected by several factors. These include the shape and size of the lens, the material it is made of, the wavelength of the waves, and the angle of incidence of the waves.

3. Can an elliptical lens produce a perfect image of a plane wave?

No, an elliptical lens cannot produce a perfect image of a plane wave. Due to the wave nature of light, there will always be some diffraction and distortion of the waves as they pass through the lens. However, with careful design and optimization, an elliptical lens can produce a close approximation of a perfect image.

4. How do you calculate the focal length of an elliptical lens?

The focal length of an elliptical lens can be calculated using the equation 1/f = (n - 1)(1/R1 + 1/R2), where f is the focal length, n is the refractive index of the lens material, and R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the two surfaces of the lens.

5. What are some applications of elliptical lenses in optics?

Elliptical lenses have a wide range of applications in optics. They are commonly used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to focus and direct light. They are also used in laser systems to shape and manipulate laser beams. Additionally, elliptical lenses are used in optical systems for medical imaging, particle detection, and spectroscopy.