Analysis of collisions from data

In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking verification for their method of solving a project involving a collision between two balls of different masses. The person used a physics tracker tool to plot points and analyze the horizontal components, determining the speeds of each ball before the collision. They then attempted to find the momentum and kinetic energy for each mass and the total system using the appropriate equations, and confirmed their attempt was correct.
xjcov
Good afternoon! I would like to preface by saying, yes, this is for a project. I am only posting here to see if my method of solving is correct before I finish the project incorrectly.

Homework Statement

I chose two balls, mass A: .553 kg and mass B: .410 kg
I recorded their collision and plotted the points on Tracker: http://physlets.org/tracker/
Through the analysis of the horizontal component of mass A (before the collision), I have determined the speed is 1.72m/s. On the horizontal component of mass B (before the collision), the speed is -3.704m/s. I have to find the momentum (kg m/s) and kinetic energy (J) of each collision and of the total system. Is my attempt correct? If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

Homework Equations

momentum: p = m*v
kinetic energy: 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

mass A momentum: (.553)(1.72) = 0.9511 kg m/s
mass A kinetic energy: 1/2(.553)(1.722) = 0.8179 J

mass B momentum: (.410)(-3.704) = -1.5186 kg m/s
mass B kinetic energy: 1/2(.410)(-3.7042) = 2.8125 J

For the total system I just added the values.
momentum: .9511 + -1.5186 = -.569
kinetic energy: .8179 J + 2.8125 J = 3.6304 J

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
That is fine so far.
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

1. What is the purpose of analyzing collisions from data?

The purpose of analyzing collisions from data is to gain a better understanding of the factors that contribute to collisions and to identify patterns and trends that can inform strategies for reducing the frequency and severity of collisions.

2. What types of data are typically used in collision analysis?

Data commonly used in collision analysis includes information about the location, time, and environmental conditions of collisions, as well as data on the vehicles, drivers, and road infrastructure involved.

3. How is data collected and processed for collision analysis?

Data is collected through various methods such as police reports, surveys, and traffic cameras. Once collected, the data is organized and cleaned to remove any errors or inconsistencies. It is then analyzed using statistical methods to identify patterns and relationships.

4. What are some common tools and techniques used in collision analysis?

Some common tools and techniques used in collision analysis include Geographic Information Systems (GIS), data visualization software, and regression analysis. These tools help to identify hotspots of collisions, visualize data, and assess the relationship between various factors and collisions.

5. How can the findings from collision analysis be applied to improve road safety?

The findings from collision analysis can be used to inform road safety measures such as road design and infrastructure improvements, targeted enforcement efforts, and educational campaigns. By understanding the factors contributing to collisions, measures can be implemented to reduce the likelihood of collisions and improve overall road safety.