Analysis question -- Aren't all prime numbers not a product of primes?

In summary: If prime number is not products of primes, how come the lemma is correct?...Yes, ##n=1\cdot p## or ##n=p## count as product in its rigor meaning.Formally it says that every integer ##n\geq 2## can be written as ##n=\prod {p_i}^{m_i}## with primes ##p_i\; , \;m_i \in \mathbb{N}_0 ## and ## \sum m_i > 0##. This includes ##n=p##, excludes ##1## and doesn't bother about any additional unnecessary factors ##1##. The formulation in words is just this
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

Screenshot_20171005-233019.png

I don't understand the lemma.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't all prime number not a product of primes? The lemma doesn't make sense to me... Moreover, if m=2, m-1 is smaller than 2, the inequality also doesn't make sense. Please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 212381

I don't understand the lemma.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't all prime number not a product of primes? The lemma doesn't make sense to me... Moreover, if m=2, m-1 is smaller than 2, the inequality also doesn't make sense. Please help me
The Lemma states that all integers are a product of primes. Of course you have to rule out the units ##\pm 1## as one can always add arbitrary many of them. This would make no sense. Similar it isn't important to treat positive and negative numbers separately, so the condition ##\ge 2## makes sense. I do not understand what you mean by "all prime number a product of primes". It is, if you consider ##p=p## as a product, but here proper products without units are meant.

fresh_42 said:
The Lemma states that all integers are a product of primes. Of course you have to rule out the units ##\pm 1## as one can always add arbitrary many of them. This would make no sense. Similar it isn't important to treat positive and negative numbers separately, so the condition ##\ge 2## makes sense. I do not understand what you mean by "all prime number a product of primes". It is, if you consider ##p=p## as a product, but here proper products without units are meant.
If prime number is not products of primes, how come the lemma is correct?...

Yes, ##n=1\cdot p## or ##n=p## count as product in its rigor meaning.

Formally it says that every integer ##n\geq 2## can be written as ##n=\prod {p_i}^{m_i}## with primes ##p_i\; , \;m_i \in \mathbb{N}_0 ## and ## \sum m_i > 0##. This includes ##n=p##, excludes ##1## and doesn't bother about any additional unnecessary factors ##1##. The formulation in words is just this: saying in words what I wrote with symbols. Try to find another wording if you like. It will probably be longer. I would rather bother about the term Lemma because it's usual name is fundamental theorem of arithmetic - at least the existence part of it. (The uniqueness part is missing, and this requires to get rid of all eventual ##1##'s.)

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has only two factors: 1 and the number itself.

2. Can a prime number be a product of other prime numbers?

No, by definition, a prime number cannot be a product of other prime numbers. It can only be divided by 1 and itself, so it cannot be written as a product of other numbers.

3. How can we prove that all prime numbers are not a product of primes?

This is a fundamental theorem in number theory, called the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic. It states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of primes. Therefore, prime numbers cannot be written as a product of primes because they are already prime themselves.

4. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

No, there are no exceptions. All prime numbers follow this rule and cannot be written as a product of other primes.

5. Why is this important in mathematics?

This concept is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of numbers. It also has many applications in cryptography, where prime numbers are used to ensure the security of codes and messages.