Analytic Integration of Function Containing the Exponential of an Exponential

In summary, the function ##f## can be integrated analytically, but the integral ##I## is very difficult to evaluate due to the inverse Jacobian at ##x=0## when changing coordinates. It is unclear if there is a better solution to this problem.
junt

Homework Statement

Can this function be integrated analytically?

##f=\exp \left(-\frac{e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32
\sqrt{a} e^{\theta }+16 e^{2 \theta }\right)}{b L^4}\right),##
where ##a##, ##b## and ##L## are some real positive constants.

Homework Equations

This is the integral I am looking at:
##I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp \left(-\frac{e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32
\sqrt{a} e^{\theta }+16 e^{2 \theta }\right)}{b L^4}\right) d\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

One can change the coordinates ##u## to ##e^{-\theta}##, but then Jacobian will be inverse in ##x##, as result introduced a pole at ##x=0##. Does anyone know a better solution to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
junt said:

Homework Statement

Can this function be integrated analytically?

##f=\exp \left(-\frac{e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32
\sqrt{a} e^{\theta }+16 e^{2 \theta }\right)}{b L^4}\right),##
where ##a##, ##b## and ##L## are some real positive constants.

Homework Equations

This is the integral I am looking at:
##I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp \left(-\frac{e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32

The Attempt at a Solution

One can change the coordinates ##u## to ##e^{-\theta}##, but then Jacobian will be inverse in ##x##, as result introduced a pole at ##x=0##. Does anyone know a better solution to it?
That's very difficult to read. I used \displaystyle in a couple of places each.

##\displaystyle f=\exp \left(-\frac{\displaystyle e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32
\sqrt{a} e^{\theta }+16 e^{2 \theta }\right)}{b L^4}\right) ##

##\displaystyle I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp \left(-\frac{\displaystyle e^{-2 \theta } \left(a \left(b^2 \left(e^{2 \theta }-1\right)^2 L^2+16\right)-32

1. What is analytic integration?

Analytic integration is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It involves using various integration techniques and rules to find a general expression for the integral.

2. What is the exponential of an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant. The exponential of an exponential function is when the exponent of the function is also an exponential expression, such as f(x) = a^(b^x).

3. Why is analytic integration of functions containing the exponential of an exponential challenging?

Analytic integration of these types of functions can be challenging because it involves multiple nested exponential expressions, making it difficult to apply traditional integration techniques. It also requires a thorough understanding of the properties of exponential functions.

4. What are some techniques for solving analytic integration of functions containing the exponential of an exponential?

Some techniques that can be used for solving these types of integrals include substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. It may also be helpful to use properties of exponential functions, such as the product and quotient rules.

5. How can analytic integration of functions containing the exponential of an exponential be applied in real-life situations?

Analytic integration is a fundamental tool in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve various problems involving exponential growth and decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It is also used in data analysis and modeling to find patterns and make predictions.