Analytic solution of a Convolution Integral

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding limits of integration and finding an analytic method to solve problems without using graphical methods. The equations for the graphs of h(t) and x(t) are easily derived. The conversation also discusses integrating h as a function of x, using a piecewise definition for h, and considering different intervals for t in order to evaluate the integral.
Legend101

Homework Statement

The question is in the attached image . My problem starts when dealing with the limits of integration . I need an analytic procedure of solving such problems without involving graphical method . The equations of the graphs of h(t) and x(t) are easily derived .
image.jpg

Homework Equations

See attached image:
The convolution integral of 2 functions is defined as :
[itеx] y(t) = \int_{-infinity}^{+infinity}h(\tau}*x(t-\tau)d\tau [\itеx]

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 582
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Legend101 said:

Homework Statement

The question is in the attached image . My problem starts when dealing with the limits of integration . I need an analytic procedure of solving such problems without involving graphical method . The equations of the graphs of h(t) and x(t) are easily derived .View attachment 79013

Homework Equations

See attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached image
The integral in your second attachment (both attachments have image.jpg as their filename) is not difficult to write using LaTeX.
$$y(t) = \int_{t - 4}^{t - 2} h(\tau) d\tau $$
The LaTeX script that produces this integral is y(t) = \int_{t - 4}^{t - 2}h(\tau}d\tau. Use two $ symbols at each end. More info here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

##h(\tau) ## is a linear function, and should be easy to integrate if you break it into two pieces.

RUber said:
##h(\tau) ## is a linear function, and should be easy to integrate if you break it into two pieces.
The problem , as i mentioned , is in the intervals of integration . We should consider to which interval t belongs . The overlapping confuses me

h(t) is non-zero for 1<t<3, so your integral will be zero for t<3, it will grow on 3<t<5, then shrink down again on 5<t<7 and be zero from that point on.
So from the outset, restrict t to between 3 and 7 and see where that gets you.

RUber said:
h(t) is non-zero for 1<t<3, so your integral will be zero for t<3, it will grow on 3<t<5, then shrink down again on 5<t<7 and be zero from that point on.
So from the outset, restrict t to between 3 and 7 and see where that gets you.
I seriously didn't understand . How did you know that the integral will be zero for t<3 and grow in...?
How am i supposed to know the different intervals of t for integration ?

##f(t) = \int_{t-4}^{t-2} h(\tau) d\tau = \int_{2}^{4} h(t-\tau) d\tau##
If the intersection: ##[t-4, t-2] \cap [1,3] ## is empty, then the function is zero, since the integrand is zero over the entire integral.
This intersection is maximized when the two ranges match exactly, i.e. t=5.
Other than that, you are evaluating a portion of the area under the tent of h.

Are you able to write the integral of h as a function of x?
something like ## f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array} {l l } \displaystyle \int_1^x g(t) dt & 1<x\leq 2 \\ \displaystyle \int_1^2 g(t) dt + \int_2^x k(t) dt & 2< x\leq 3 \end{array} \right. ##

Legend101 said:
The problem , as i mentioned , is in the intervals of integration . We should consider to which interval t belongs . The overlapping confuses me

Always draw a picture! Look at the feasible region in ##(\tau,t)##-space.

Legend101 said:

Homework Statement

The question is in the attached image . My problem starts when dealing with the limits of integration . I need an analytic procedure of solving such problems without involving graphical method.
I have to admit I'm always puzzled by students when they insist on a non-graphical method of analyzing a problem. Analyzing the problem graphically is probably one of the most powerful tools you have and much less error-prone than trying to apply a non-intuitive, non-graphical method.

RUber said:
Are you able to write the integral of h as a function of x?
something like ## f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array} {l l } \displaystyle \int_1^x g(t) dt & 1<x\leq 2 \\ \displaystyle \int_1^2 g(t) dt + \int_2^x k(t) dt & 2< x\leq 3 \end{array} \right. ##
Unfortunately , I'm not . It seems I need to do further readings :(

In your attached photo, you already have the piecewise definition of h as:
## \left\{ \begin{array} {l l} t-1 & 1<t\leq 2 \\ 3-t & 2<t\leq 3 \\ 0 & \text{Otherwise} \end{array} \right. ##
What happens if you take the integral of this for t from 0 to 2? From 1 to 3? From -2 to 0? From 2 to 4?
If you can answer these questions, you should know enough to complete this problem.

RUber said:
In your attached photo, you already have the piecewise definition of h as:
## \left\{ \begin{array} {l l} t-1 & 1<t\leq 2 \\ 3-t & 2<t\leq 3 \\ 0 & \text{Otherwise} \end{array} \right. ##
What happens if you take the integral of this for t from 0 to 2? From 1 to 3? From -2 to 0? From 2 to 4?
If you can answer these questions, you should know enough to complete this problem.
But the integral is from t-4 to t-2 . The intervals of t that we should consider are not the same as h(tau) 's intervals of definition . For now , i obtained 7 cases of t

What if you made a shift and said x= t-4 and x+2 = t-2?
Either way, you will get an integral that depends on some variable which can be evaluated as a function that has maximum of 1 and is zero for all but a small interval of length 4.
7 cases? Could you show what you have so far?

Related to Analytic solution of a Convolution Integral

1. What is an analytic solution of a convolution integral?

An analytic solution of a convolution integral is a mathematical expression that describes the output of a system when two functions are convolved, or combined. It is a closed-form solution, meaning it can be expressed using a finite number of mathematical operations.

2. How is a convolution integral solved analytically?

A convolution integral can be solved analytically by using mathematical techniques such as integration, substitution, and algebraic manipulation. The goal is to simplify the integral into a form that can be easily evaluated using known mathematical functions.

3. What is the significance of finding an analytic solution of a convolution integral?

Finding an analytic solution of a convolution integral allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a system. It provides a precise mathematical description of the input-output relationship and can be used to make predictions and analyze the effects of different inputs on the system.

4. Can all convolution integrals be solved analytically?

No, not all convolution integrals have an analytic solution. Some integrals are too complex to be solved analytically and require numerical methods for evaluation. However, many commonly used functions have known analytic solutions for convolution.

5. How is the analytic solution of a convolution integral used in real-world applications?

The analytic solution of a convolution integral has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics. It is used to model and analyze systems, filter and enhance signals, and solve differential equations. It is also an essential tool in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.