Analytic solution of the SHO for 1D Schrodinger

In summary: Thanks for the reply. So yes, I did realize this, but neither this or the 1/2 factor delivers an ODE that =0, they are just approximations (I decided to do both, and the plots show that ##\psi## has great boundary conditions as u approaches +- infinity, but needs some correction around the origin of the wavefunction.I don't know why I can't attach a photo of the plot (the attach file tab gives me an error) but take both approx solutions and sub them back into the ODE, you get...$$\psi = (-1-3u^2)e^{\frac{-u^2}{2}}$$or$$\psi = (-
weak_phys
Homework Statement
This is not a homework Q, only in the sense that I am revisiting my degree and wondering about this part of the problem (because it always bothered me): but for reference the leap is made in Griffiths 2.3.2 (2nd edition equation 2.7.4 and 2.7.5) and Liboff 7.20 (4th edition)
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{d^{2}\psi}{du^2} \simeq u^2 \psi$$
At the point where we 'guess' a solution to this 2nd order ODE that cannot be done analytically, I was wondering why Griff and others choose $$e^{-x^2 / 2}$$ rather than just $$e^{-x^2}$$ I've plotted both here and am left wondering what's so different? If we guessed instead the unpopular $$e^{-x^2}$$ surely we still have the same recursion formula and quantum number when we press on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tried to upload an image of my plots but can't keep getting 'uploaded file was not an image as expected' - I've tried .png .jpg with the same error?

Probably for normalization issues. (Can't say I remember why, it's a guess).

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Probably for normalization issues. (Can't say I remember why, it's a guess).

Fair enough, I'm being a bit lazy by asking really - I might try and go on with the non standard choice and see what happens, but as it's an approximation anyway I can't for the life of me see it affecting the 2nd half of the derivation, but I shall see, cheers!

weak_phys said:
Fair enough, I'm being a bit lazy by asking really - I might try and go on with the non standard choice and see what happens, but as it's an approximation anyway I can't for the life of me see it affecting the 2nd half of the derivation, but I shall see, cheers!
Well, physics is for the masochists no doubt about it... :cool:

Likes PhDeezNutz and weak_phys
The factor of 1/2 cancels the factor of 2 you get from the chain rule. If it wasn't there, you'd get ##\psi'' \cong 4 u^2 \psi##.

Likes Ishika_96_sparkles
vela said:
The factor of 1/2 cancels the factor of 2 you get from the chain rule. If it wasn't there, you'd get ##\psi'' \cong 4 u^2 \psi##.
Thanks for the reply. So yes, I did realize this, but neither this or the 1/2 factor delivers an ODE that =0, they are just approximations (I decided to do both, and the plots show that ##\psi## has great boundary conditions as u approaches +- infinity, but needs some correction around the origin of the wavefunction.
I don't know why I can't attach a photo of the plot (the attach file tab gives me an error) but take both approx solutions and sub them back into the ODE, you get...
$$\psi = (-1-3u^2)e^{\frac{-u^2}{2}}$$
or
$$\psi = (-2-5u^2)e^{-u^2}$$

Both are nice to plot and it's obvious to see why either cannot be a homogenous solution, just an approximation. So, obviously we look for another ##f(u)## to bolt onto ##\psi## to fix this and find our recursion relation.
I haven't had time to push on with this yet, but I will before the week is done!

1. What is the SHO in 1D Schrodinger's equation?

The SHO stands for Simple Harmonic Oscillator, which is a system that exhibits a periodic motion with a restoring force proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

2. What is the significance of finding an analytic solution for the SHO in 1D Schrodinger's equation?

Finding an analytic solution for the SHO allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the system and understand the underlying principles governing its motion.

3. How is the analytic solution of the SHO in 1D Schrodinger's equation derived?

The analytic solution is derived by solving the Schrodinger equation using separation of variables and applying appropriate boundary conditions.

4. What are the key assumptions made in obtaining the analytic solution of the SHO in 1D Schrodinger's equation?

Some key assumptions include: the potential energy function is symmetric, the system is in a stable equilibrium, and the motion is confined to one dimension.

5. How does the analytic solution of the SHO in 1D Schrodinger's equation compare to the numerical solution?

The analytic solution provides an exact solution to the SHO, while the numerical solution involves approximations and is often used when an analytic solution cannot be obtained. However, the two solutions should yield similar results when compared.