Solve Shear Center Problem: Find Length b in Cross Section

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of b in a given cross section with a shear center at point O. The shear stress equation, tau=VQ/IT, is used to find the shear force of each section. It is important to consider the contribution of each section to the overall moment, and it may be easier to solve for e in terms of b, a, and t and substitute into the moment equation to solve for b.
womanengineer

Homework Statement

The problem and cross section are attached. (#2 on the PDF)

I have to find the length of b if the shear center is at point O.

The horizontal lines that are not labeled are of length a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the Moment about O to get the equation for e.
I have split the cross section into 3 different sections, used tau=VQ/IT
Took the integral of tau to get V of the particular section.
I then found I total.
All of these values are respect to t,b, and a.

After I've done all this, do I set the e=0 and solve the equation for b in terms of a and t?

I am not sure if I am doing this right.
Will post the work I've done if necessary.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Exam4.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by using the equation for shear stress, tau=VQ/IT, to find the shear force, V, of each section. However, when finding the total moment, it is important to consider the contribution of each section to the overall moment. This means that the moment equation should include the distance from the shear center, e, for each section.

Additionally, setting e=0 and solving for b in terms of a and t may not be the most efficient approach. It may be easier to solve for e in terms of b, a, and t and then substitute that value into the moment equation to solve for b. This will give you a direct relationship between b and a, which may make it easier to find the length of b.

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your work. Good luck!

1. What is the shear center problem and why is it important to solve?

The shear center problem refers to determining the location of the point in a cross section of a beam or structure where the shear force can be applied without causing any twisting or bending. It is important to solve because knowing the shear center allows engineers to design more stable and efficient structures.

2. How is the length b in a cross section determined to solve the shear center problem?

The length b in a cross section is determined by using the principle of superposition. This involves dividing the cross section into smaller, simpler parts and analyzing the shear forces acting on each part. The sum of these forces can be used to determine the location of the shear center.

3. What factors affect the determination of the shear center in a cross section?

The shape and geometry of the cross section, as well as the material properties of the beam, can affect the determination of the shear center. Other factors such as applied loads and boundary conditions also play a role in the calculation.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions when solving the shear center problem?

Yes, there are several limitations and assumptions. One major limitation is that the cross section must be symmetric with respect to the shear center. Assumptions include linear elastic behavior of the material and small deflections of the beam.

5. How is the solution to the shear center problem verified?

The solution can be verified through experimental testing or by comparing the results with known solutions for similar cross sections. Finite element analysis can also be used to verify the calculated shear center position.