Angle of acceleration in non-uniform circular motion

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angle of a line using the inverse tangent function. The OP is unsure about the notation used and the symbol for degrees in the solution. It is clarified that the symbol used is a gamma, which represents degrees. The solution also involves finding the angle between a radial acceleration and total acceleration, which is measured anticlockwise from the cord.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Pls see below
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
For (c),
1676794421345.png

Solution is
1676794442239.png

Can someone please explain how they calculated that angle? I thought they would do ##arc\tan (\frac {32}{3.35})##

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
View attachment 322504
Can someone please explain how they calculated that angle? I thought they would do ##arc\tan (\frac {32}{3.35})##

Many thanks!
##\tan^{-1}## is one way of writing ##\arctan##.
Or is it the 3.35/32 instead of the other way up that bothers you?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and MatinSAR
haruspex said:
The OP seems to be unaware that the trig function inverses can be written in two ways: e.g., ##\tan^{-1}(x)## is the same as arctan(x), and similar for the other circular trig functions.

On another note, does anyone recognize the symbol that follows 5.98 in the solution? Evidently it means "degrees" since ##\tan^{-1}(\frac{3.35}{32.0}) \approx 5.98## (degrees), but the symbol used looks like ##\gamma## to me, which I've never seen used to signify degrees .

Likes ChiralSuperfields and MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

Sorry I should been more accurate - it is the 3.35/32 that is bothering me

Many thanks!

Mark44 said:
The OP seems to be unaware that the trig function inverses can be written in two ways: e.g., ##\tan^{-1}(x)## is the same as arctan(x), and similar for the other circular trig functions.

On another note, does anyone recognize the symbol that follows 5.98 in the solution? Evidently it means "degrees" since ##\tan^{-1}(\frac{3.35}{32.0}) \approx 5.98## (degrees), but the symbol used looks like ##\gamma## to me, which I've never seen used to signify degrees .
Thank you for your reply @Mark44!

Sorry I was actually aware that ##tan^{-1} = arctan##. However, I was not sure why they wrote 3.35\32 instead 32\3.35 inside the tan function.

Also yeah that textbook solutions dose use the gamma symbol for degrees for some reason.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

Sorry I should been more accurate - it is the 3.35/32 that is bothering me

Many thanks!
The 32 acceleration is radial. The angle quoted is that between the radial acceleration and the total acceleration. The cosine of that angle would be radial/total and its tangent is tangential/radial.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
The 32 acceleration is radial. The angle quoted is that between the radial acceleration and the total acceleration. The cosine of that angle would be radial/total and its tangent is tangential/radial.
Thank you for reply @haruspex !

When I draw a diagram of the accelerations acting on the mass when ##\theta = 20~degrees##
1676838074204.png

Then draw a vector addition diagram to get the total acceleration,
1676838284246.png

I see that ##\tan\theta = \frac{a_c}{a_t} = \frac{32}{3.35}##

I know this is bad practice to change symbols when solving a problem, but if I add an angle phi (use to represent tangent/radial acceleration) ,
1676838541321.png

Then I can see that ##\tan\phi = \frac{a_t}{a_c}##. I think I'm now not sure how they got acceleration to be below the cord at 5.89 degrees.
1676838800945.png

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
View attachment 322528
Many thanks!
The angle of a line "below the cord" means the angle between the cord and the line, measured on the underside of the cord. In your last diagram above, that is the angle between the pale brown cord and the black total acceleration vector, measured anticlockwise from the cord.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
The angle of a line "below the cord" means the angle between the cord and the line, measured on the underside of the cord. In your last diagram above, that is the angle between the pale brown cord and the black total acceleration vector, measured anticlockwise from the cord.
Oh thank you for your help @haruspex! I see it now :)
1676846089139.png

Attachments

• 1676846016881.png
    1676846016881.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 61

1. What is the angle of acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

The angle of acceleration in non-uniform circular motion is the angle between the instantaneous acceleration vector and the tangential acceleration vector. It represents the direction in which the object is accelerating at any given point in its motion.

2. How is the angle of acceleration calculated in non-uniform circular motion?

The angle of acceleration can be calculated using the formula θ = tan^-1(at/at), where at is the tangential acceleration and an is the instantaneous acceleration. This formula can also be rewritten as θ = tan^-1(v^2/r), where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the significance of the angle of acceleration in non-uniform circular motion?

The angle of acceleration is important because it helps us understand the direction in which an object is accelerating in non-uniform circular motion. It also allows us to analyze the components of the acceleration vector and how they contribute to the overall motion of the object.

4. How does the angle of acceleration change in non-uniform circular motion?

In non-uniform circular motion, the angle of acceleration changes as the object moves along its path. This is because the direction of the tangential acceleration changes as the object speeds up or slows down, causing the angle of acceleration to vary.

5. Can the angle of acceleration ever be zero in non-uniform circular motion?

No, the angle of acceleration cannot be zero in non-uniform circular motion. This is because the tangential and instantaneous acceleration vectors are always perpendicular to each other, resulting in a non-zero angle between them. However, the angle of acceleration can approach zero as the object's speed becomes constant and the motion becomes more uniform.