Angle of incidence and refraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas needed to calculate the "Sine of angle of incidence," "Sine of angle of refraction," and "Index of refraction." The speaker mentions having information only about the "Angle of incidence" and "Angle of refraction," and speculates that these formulas may be related to Snell's law. They also mention using trigonometric tables or drawing a right angle triangle to calculate the sine of an angle and ultimately derive the index of refraction.
Zelko
Hello PF users hope all is well!
I need a reminder of the formulas needed in order to get

"Sine of angle of incidence"

"Sine of angle of refraction"

And "Index of refraction".

The only information I have available now is

"Angle of incidence" And "Angle of refraction"

I'm guessing they're all along the lines of Snell's law

Science news on Phys.org
Zelko said:
Hello PF users hope all is well!
I need a reminder of the formulas needed in order to get

"Sine of angle of incidence"

"Sine of angle of refraction"

And "Index of refraction".

The only information I have available now is

"Angle of incidence" And "Angle of refraction"

I'm guessing they're all along the lines of Snell's law

i hope you wish to know about calculating the refractive index of a medium through the info about angle of incidence and angle of refraction.
what is snell's law? and how it is applied?
and how to calculate sine of an angle.
its simple to draw a right angle triangle with base angle 'equal to angle of your choice' and take the ratio of perpendicular length with hypoteneuse , then you get the sine of that angle.
or go to the trigonometric table of sine of the angles and get values and calculate index of refraction = ratio of sine of the angle of incidence and refraction.

Thank you for the help, I can clearly recall how to calculate it.

What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a light ray or other wave strikes a surface.

What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of the wave in the two media.

What factors affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is affected by the speed of the wave in the two media, as well as the angle of incidence and the properties of the materials involved, such as their refractive indices.

How does the angle of incidence affect the amount of refraction?

The amount of refraction increases as the angle of incidence increases, reaching a maximum when the angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle for the two media.

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray strikes a boundary between two media at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing the entire ray to be reflected back into the original medium instead of being refracted.