Angular acceleration calculation

In summary, angular acceleration is a measure of the change in an object's angular velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared or degrees per second squared. Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the formula a = rα, and it can be negative, indicating a decrease in rotational motion.
robax25
Homework Statement
Angular acceleration calculation
Relevant Equations
T=I.α
Torque=225 Ncm

Torque=α*0.35 kg.cm²

α=225Ncm/0.35kg.cm²

=225 kg.m/s²*cm/0.35kg.cm²
=225*100/.35s²
=64285.7/s²
but the answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
robax25 said:
Homework Statement:: Angular acceleration calculation
Relevant Equations:: T=I.α

Torque=225 Ncm

Torque=α*0.35 kg.cm²

α=225Ncm/0.35kg.cm²

=225 kg.m/s²*cm/0.35kg.cm²
=225*100/.35s²
=64285.7/s²
but the answer is wrong
Maybe too many significant figures in the answer? I get the same answer as you.

I get the solution.

robax25 said:
I get the solution.
What was different in the final solution?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is expressed in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity changes. Angular acceleration is expressed in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is expressed in meters per second squared.

4. How does angular acceleration affect rotational motion?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that a larger angular acceleration will result in a faster change in an object's angular velocity, and a smaller angular acceleration will result in a slower change in angular velocity.

5. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. A negative angular acceleration means that the object is slowing down, or its angular velocity is decreasing over time. This can happen when a torque is applied in the opposite direction of the object's current angular velocity.