Angular frequency of plank attached to spring

In summary, a horizontal plank with a mass of 2kg and length of 1m is pivoted at one end and has a spring (k=1000N/m) attached at the other end. To find the angular frequency for small oscillations, the plank is treated as a long thin rod with a rotational axis through the end. By using the equation ω = √(mgd + kΔxd/I) and substituting the known values, the correct answer of ω=39rad/s can be found.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

A horizontal plank (mass 2kg, length 1m) is pivoted at one end. A spring (k=1000N/m) is attached at the other end. Find the angular frequency for small oscillations.

Answer: ω=39rad/s

Homework Equations

ω = √(mgd + kΔxd/I)
I think I would be treating the plank as a long thin rod with rotational axis through the end (since I'm not provided with the dimensions of the plank), so I = 1/3mL2 + md2
Where L: length of the rod, d: distance between pivot and rod's centre of mass (d=L/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 1/3mL2 + md2 = 1/3mL2 + m(L/2)2

ω = √(mgd + kΔxd/I)
mgd component --> mg(L/2)
kΔxd component --> mg(L/2)2

Substituting all the known values...
ω = √[(2)(9.8)(1/2) + 1000(12)] / [(1/3)(2)(12) + 2(1/2)2]
ω = √1009.8/1.16 = 29.4

Still not getting the correct answer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.13.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.13.21 AM.png
    1,008 bytes · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
vetgirl1990 said:
##I = 1/3mL^2 + md^2 = 1/3mL^2 + m(L/2)^2##
Not so.

1. What is the formula for angular frequency of a plank attached to a spring?

The formula for angular frequency (ω) of a plank attached to a spring is ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the plank. This formula is derived from the equation for simple harmonic motion.

2. How does the angular frequency of a plank attached to a spring affect its motion?

The angular frequency directly affects the speed at which the plank attached to a spring oscillates. A higher angular frequency means a faster oscillation, while a lower angular frequency means a slower oscillation.

3. Can the angular frequency of a plank attached to a spring be changed?

Yes, the angular frequency can be changed by altering the spring constant (k) or the mass of the plank (m). Increasing the spring constant or decreasing the mass will result in a higher angular frequency, while decreasing the spring constant or increasing the mass will result in a lower angular frequency.

4. How does the length of the plank attached to a spring affect the angular frequency?

The length of the plank does not directly affect the angular frequency. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the mass of the plank, as a longer plank will typically have a greater mass than a shorter plank.

5. What is the unit for angular frequency of a plank attached to a spring?

The unit for angular frequency is radians per second (rad/s). This unit represents the amount of rotation per unit of time and is commonly used in physics and engineering calculations.