Finding tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation

In summary: Actually sorry didn't express myself correctly. The whole point is that the infinitesimal centripetal force is ##-dT## and not just ##dT## but I leave you alone to think the "why" of this.
vparam
Homework Statement
Consider a mass m attached to a rope of mass M and length L. The rope has constant mass per length. The mass and rope are spun around the end opposite the mass at angular frequency ω. Find the tension in the rope as a function of distance along the rope measured from the center of rotation. You can neglect gravity.
Relevant Equations
a = v^2/r
1652064211856.png

I'm not too sure how to account for both the mass and the rope at once.
I think the following are true for the two individually:
For the mass at the end, ## T = m ω^2 L ##, following from ##a = v^2/r##and ##v=ωr##.
For the rope, ##dT = ω^2 r dM##, where ##dM = λ dr## and λ is the mass per unit length = M/L.
Therefore, ##dT = λ ω^2 r dr##, so ##T = \frac{1} {2} λ ω^2 r^2## integrating from 0 to r on the right-hand side.

Knowing this, I'm not sure how to put this information together because it seems like having the mass at the end might change how to solve the problem, but I'm not sure how to go about approaching this.

Physics news on Phys.org
vparam said:
For the rope, dT=ω2rdM, where dM=λdr and λ is the mass per unit length = M/L.
Therefore, dT=λω2rdr, so T=12λω2r2 integrating from 0 to r on the right-hand side.
This would mean higher tension the further out you get and zero tension at r=0. Is this reasonable?

Orodruin said:
This would mean higher tension the further out you get and zero tension at r=0. Is this reasonable?
I think so, but I'm not so sure. If the rope undergoes uniform circular motion, then the elements further out have to experience a greater centripetal acceleration based on ## a=\omega ^2 r ##, right?

You forgot the constant of integration. Other than that I can't see any mistake in your reasoning. You can determine the constant from the boundary condition $$T(L)=m\omega^2L\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\lambda\omega^2L^2+C=m\omega^2L$$##

Last edited:
vparam said:
I think so, but I'm not so sure. If the rope undergoes uniform circular motion, then the elements further out have to experience a greater centripetal acceleration based on ## a=\omega ^2 r ##, right?
Try to do a free body diagram for a small part of the rope. On which side does the tension need to be larger?

Delta2 said:
You forgot the constant of integration. Other than that I can't see any mistake in your reasoning. You can determine the constant from the boundary condition $$T(L)=m\omega^2L\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\lambda\omega^2L^2+C=m\omega^2L$$##
This is not sufficient. There are other errors.

Orodruin said:
This is not sufficient. There are other errors.
Hmmmm ok, now that I think of it a bit more carefully there should be a minus sign **somewhere** but other than that I can't see any other error.

Delta2 said:
there should be a minus sign **somewhere**
This is the realization that I was trying to guide the OP towards …

• Love
Likes BvU and Delta2
Orodruin said:
Try to do a free body diagram for a small part of the rope. On which side does the tension need to be larger?
There has to be some net center-acting force to allow for centripetal acceleration, so the tension pointing inward should be greater than the tension going outward, right? Then, their difference would be dT. Wouldn't dT need to grow as you move further outward because of the need for the net center seeking force?

vparam said:
There has to be some net center-acting force to allow for centripetal acceleration, so the tension pointing inward should be greater than the tension going outward, right? Then, their difference would be dT. Wouldn't dT need to grow as you move further outward because of the need for the net center seeking force?
It does indeed. But look at what your definition of dT is. If the tension at r is T, then the tension at r+dr is T+dT. So what is dT if you want a net force pointing inwards?

Likes vparam
Orodruin said:
It does indeed. But look at what your definition of dT is. If the tension at r is T, then the tension at r+dr is T+dT. So what is dT if you want a net force pointing inwards?
dT should be negative (or at least the opposite sign of dr since they should point in opposite directions as vectors).

Likes Delta2
vparam said:
dT should be negative (or at least the opposite sign of dr since they should point in opposite directions as vectors).
… and therefore …

vparam said:
This statement seems correct, but in your analysis you consider dr as scalar.

The mystery of the minus sign unfolds if you think that $$dT=T(r+dr)-T(r)$$ and that T(r+dr) and T(r) have opposite directions hence opposite signs and also that ##dT## as the infinitesimal centripetal force on the infinitesimal segment ##dr## must point inwards, hence must have the sign of T(r).

Likes vparam
Actually sorry didn't express myself correctly. The whole point is that the infinitesimal centripetal force is ##-dT## and not just ##dT## but I leave you alone to think the "why" of this. It would help greatly if you **carefully** do as @Orodruin suggested at post #5

Orodruin said:
… and therefore …
##dT=-\lambda\omega^2rdr\Rightarrow T=-\frac{1}{2}\lambda\omega^2r^2+C##

Could I then use ##T=m\omega^2L##, the tension that is needed for the block to find C?

i.e.:
##T(L)=-m\omega^2L=-\frac{1}{2}\lambda\omega^2L^2+C =-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{M}{L})\omega^2L^2+C =-\frac{1}{2}M\omega^2L+C##

I believe the boundary condition is ##T(L)=m\omega^2L## in your analysis you "silently" assumed that the positive direction is inwards, that is towards the center.

Likes vparam
Delta2 said:
This statement seems correct, but in your analysis you consider dr as scalar.

The mystery of the minus sign unfolds if you think that $$dT=T(r+dr)-T(r)$$ and that T(r+dr) and T(r) have opposite directions hence opposite signs and also that ##dT## as the infinitesimal centripetal force on the infinitesimal segment ##dr## must point inwards, hence must have the sign of T(r).
Oh I see, this explanation makes sense. I think in my confusion I wasn't identifying that the tensions are acting a distance dr apart (which makes sense b/c the tensions acting in either direction should be equal at one point). Thank you for clarifying this!

Delta2 said:
I believe the boundary condition is ##T(L)=m\omega^2L## in your analysis you "silently" assumed that the positive direction is inwards, that is towards the center.
Got it! Ok, so correcting for this: ##m\omega^2L=-\frac{1}{2}M\omega^2L+C \Rightarrow C=m\omega^2L+\frac{1}{2}M\omega^2L=\omega^2L(m+\frac{1}{2}M)##.

So the final answer would be: ##T(r)=\omega^2L(m+\frac{1}{2}M)-\frac{M}{2L}\omega^2r^2##?

Delta2 said:
Tension is well defined and is a scalar quantity, not a vector quantity, it does not have direction as such. It is positive when the string is taut. The force on an object is proportional to the tension multiplied by the unit vector of the cut of the string when you make a free-body diagram. This means that it needs to be positive in order to keep the mass from flying away as the unit vector is in the negative r direction.

Compare with the generalisation to a continuum, which is the rank two stress tensor.

Orodruin said:
Tension is well defined and is a scalar quantity, not a vector quantity, it does not have direction as such. It is positive when the string is taut. The force on an object is proportional to the tension multiplied by the unit vector of the cut of the string when you make a free-body diagram. This means that it needs to be positive in order to keep the mass from flying away as the unit vector is in the negative r direction.

Compare with the generalisation to a continuum, which is the rank two stress tensor.
Hmm, are you saying that Tension can be only positive or zero?
vparam said:
Got it! Ok, so correcting for this: ##m\omega^2L=-\frac{1}{2}M\omega^2L+C \Rightarrow C=m\omega^2L+\frac{1}{2}M\omega^2L=\omega^2L(m+\frac{1}{2}M)##.

So the final answer would be: ##T(r)=\omega^2L(m+\frac{1}{2}M)-\frac{M}{2L}\omega^2r^2##?
Yes now I think you are absolutely correct.

Likes vparam
vparam said:
I would probably group it as follows
$$
T(r) = m\omega^2 L + \frac{M}{2}\omega^2 L\left(1 - \frac{r^2}{L^2}\right),
$$
but yes.

So what is the tension at ##r = 0##? Does this result seem compatible with what you would experience if you were to swing an object attached to a string around over your head?

Likes vparam
Delta2 said:
Hmm, are you saying that Tension can be only positive or zero?
If you have a string that cannot support compressing forces, yes.

Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
I would probably group it as follows
$$
T(r) = m\omega^2 L + \frac{M}{2}\omega^2 L\left(1 - \frac{r^2}{L^2}\right),
$$
but yes.

So what is the tension at ##r = 0##? Does this result seem compatible with what you would experience if you were to swing an object attached to a string around over your head?
Evaluating at r=0, ##T(0)=m\omega^2L+\frac{M}{2}\omega^2L##. I see what you mean now: yes, it makes sense that the tension is at a maximum at r=0 based on experience.

Thank you, @Orodruin and @Delta2 for all the help!

Likes Delta2
vparam said:
yes, it makes sense that the tension is at a maximum at r=0 based on experience.
Tripple olympic hammer throw champion Anita Włodarczyk agrees. Tension is not zero at ##r = 0## :wink:
thumbs_b_c_6598f77b80e2937ba3ce49b84ad9cd83.jpg

Seriously, check out that woman's championship record ... she's been dominating the sport for 10 years and won every single championship during that time ... She also hold the world record, having thrown just above 2.5 meters further than anyone else in history.

• Love
Likes vparam and Delta2

1. What is tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation?

Tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation refers to the relationship between the amount of tension in a rotating object and its distance from the center of rotation. This relationship is important in understanding the stability and motion of rotating objects.

2. How is tension calculated as a function of distance from the center of rotation?

Tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation can be calculated using the formula T = mrω², where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the center of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What factors affect tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation?

The factors that affect tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation include the mass and velocity of the rotating object, as well as the distance from the center of rotation. Additionally, the type of material the object is made of and the presence of other external forces can also affect tension.

4. How does tension change as distance from the center of rotation increases?

As the distance from the center of rotation increases, tension decreases. This is because the force of tension is directly proportional to the distance from the center of rotation. Therefore, the farther an object is from the center of rotation, the less tension it experiences.

5. Why is it important to understand tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation?

Understanding tension as a function of distance from the center of rotation is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps in predicting the behavior and stability of rotating objects, as well as in designing and optimizing rotating systems for different purposes.