Angular frequency of two hanging bobs of different masses

questionas
Homework Statement
Two bobs (masses 2m and m) are suspended vertically by two equal springs k in series, shown below. Vertically coupled oscillators. To avoid confusion, let's call the TOP mass #1 and the BOTTOM mass #2 , as indicated. You may assume zero damping. Let's also agree to call the frequency ω0^2 = k/m.

(a) Show that the normal mode frequencies are ωf ≈ 1.307ω0 and ωs ≈ 0.541ω0, where f and s refer to fast and slow.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
F=-kx
This is a the representation of the two masses.
1706954446990.png
Using Newton's second law I got the following equations assuming x1>>x2:
m*x1''(t) = -k(x1-x2)
m*x2''(t) = 0.5kx1-kx2

I put it in matrix form
m| x1''| = | -k k| *|x1|
|x2''| =| 0.5k -k| |x2|

After some simplification assuming the solution I Ae^iwt I got:
0 = | -k+mw^2 k | * |A1|
|0.5K -k+mw^2| |A2|

The I solve that the determinant M = 0
| -k+mw^2 k |
|0.5K -k+mw^2|

I got
w1 = sqrt( K/2m)
w2 = sqrt(3k/2m)

which is not the one the questions had.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Can you explain your first set of equations?

##\ ##

Maybe the problem is that you totally neglect the weight force, each equation must be accompanied by a different weight (##-mg## for the equation that contains ##x_1''##, ##-2mg## for the other), I know in the case of simple vertical oscillation the weight doesn't affect the frequency of oscillation, not sure it works the same way here in coupled oscillation.

Delta2 said:
Maybe the problem is that you totally neglect the weight force, each equation must be accompanied by a different weight (##-mg## for the equation that contains ##x_1''##, ##-2mg## for the other), I know in the case of simple vertical oscillation the weight doesn't affect the frequency of oscillation, not sure it works the same way here in coupled oscillation.
This is just a constant addition to each force equation that can be removed by the addition of a constant (to the displacements). It does not effect the eigenfrequencies of the system. Which is why the approach
BvU said:
is appropriate for helping the OP.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Shouldn't the matrix have 0.5k ... -0.5k in the second row? Is that a typo or that's how you proceed in your original work?

BvU said:
:welcome:

##\ ##
if your referring to the one where I applied Newton's second law, I assumed the system ws horizontal and that the mass 1 was pulled a distance x1 to the right and mass 2 was pulled a distance x2 to the right. Then the spring between the two masses would be stretched and that spring will pull mass 1 to the left hence the -k(x1-x2). Whereas mass 2 will be pulled to the right by the same spring and the spring attaching it to the wall will pull it to the right hence k(x1-x2)-kx2 and then I simplified

Delta2 said:
Shouldn't the matrix have 0.5k ... -0.5k in the second row? Is that a typo or that's how you proceed in your original work
I proceeded with 0.5k. I do not understand why it should be negative?

You have the second row as 0.5k k, i think it should be 0.5k -0.5k because the equation for ##x_2## is $$2mx_2''(t)=kx_1-kx_2$$ correct?

Delta2 said:
You have the second row as 0.5k k, i think it should be 0.5k -0.5k because the equation for ##x_2## is $$2mx_2''(t)=kx_1-kx_2$$ correct?
I thought it would be

2mx''(t) = k(x1-x2)-kx2
2mx''(t) = kx1 - 2kx2
mx''(t) = 0.5kx1 - kx2 ?

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Ok that's right after all, sorry for that, I solve the final equation from determinant=0 with the help of wolfram and I got the answers given by your book, seems to me you did some error there.

Likes BvU and Delta2