Angular kinematic problem -- An accelerating merry-go-round

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding various quantities related to a rotating merry-go-round, including frequency, angular velocity, tangent velocity, centripetal force, linear acceleration, and angular acceleration. The main confusion arises from the use of theta, which is supposed to represent the angular displacement, but gives two different answers when calculated using two different methods. However, upon further examination, it is determined that theta is supposed to represent the angular displacement during 2 seconds at final velocity, which explains the discrepancy in the answers.
Nick tringali
Homework Statement
Hopefully I did everything up to the theta part correctly but I do not understand how I’m getting 2 different answers using 2 different equations. It’s worth noting that I designed this problem myself. Also what would be the units for theta in this case and the units for s in s= r *theta
Relevant Equations
Omega final ^2= omega initial^2 +2 alpha theta
Theta = omega initial * time + .5 alpha*time^2
35781F9B-10B8-42CD-BA13-03E60CDB41CD.jpeg
D5139295-2754-49E7-86ED-16621ACF11F5.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Also if you can’t read my handwriting it says a merry-go-round is rotating 10 revolutions every minute at its final angular velocity and it took 20 seconds to reach that speed

Nick tringali said:
a merry-go-round is rotating 10 revolutions every minute at its final angular velocity
A bit painful to follow you needlessly approximate a ##\pi## early on and end up with calculating a rev every 5.988s.

What's the actual question ? (poor eyesight and an itty-bitty laptop screen)

Likes Nick tringali
hmmm27 said:
A bit painful to follow you needlessly approximate a ##\pi## early on and end up with calculating a rev every 5.988s.

What's the actual question ? (poor eyesight and an itty-bitty laptop screen)
The actual question is Find frequency find angular velocity find the tangent velocity find centripetal force find linear acceleration find angular acceleration and the part where I got lost is to find Theta, which I don’t really know what it is or how it’s different from s. My question about this question is why I’m getting 2 different answers for theta.

Nick tringali said:
the part where I got lost is to find Theta, which I don’t really know what it is or how it’s different from s. My question about this question is why I’m getting 2 different answers for theta.
Your scribbling for "bonus" seems to indicate that ##\theta## is supposed to be the angular displacement during 2 seconds at final velocity, so both answers are wrong.

I think your first step should be deciding, not the value of ##\theta##, but what ##\theta## is supposed to represent. Since you wrote the question yourself, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited:
Likes Nick tringali
Nick tringali said:
The actual question is Find frequency find angular velocity find the tangent velocity find centripetal force find linear acceleration find angular acceleration and the part where I got lost is to find Theta, which I don’t really know what it is or how it’s different from s. My question about this question is why I’m getting 2 different answers for theta.
In one of your methods you used t=2s instead of t=20s.

hmmm27 said:
Your scribbling for "bonus" seems to indicate that ##\theta## is supposed to be the angular displacement during 2 seconds at final velocity, so both answers are wrong.

I think your first step should be deciding, not the value of ##\theta##, but what ##\theta## is supposed to represent. Since you wrote the question yourself, that shouldn't be too difficult.
What I’m not understanding is how they are both wrong when both equations come straight out of my reference table for angular Kinematics

Nick tringali said:
What I’m not understanding is how they are both wrong when both equations come straight out of my reference table for angular Kinematics
hmmm27 said:

hmmm27 said:
Your scribbling for "bonus" seems to indicate that θ is supposed to be the angular displacement during 2 seconds at final velocity,
As I read it, the right hand scribble gives the displacement from rest over 2 seconds at the calculated acceleration. The left hand gives it over 20 seconds, hence their ratio of 100:1.

1. What is an Angular Kinematic Problem?

An Angular Kinematic Problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object around a central point, such as a rotating merry-go-round. It focuses on the angular velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the object.

2. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a rotating object?

The angular velocity (ω) of a rotating object can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement (Δθ) by the change in time (Δt). It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the velocity of the object, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the velocity and directed towards the center of rotation.

4. How does the radius of a rotating object affect its angular velocity?

The radius of a rotating object has a direct effect on its angular velocity. As the radius increases, the angular velocity decreases and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that if the angular acceleration increases, the angular velocity will also increase, and if the angular acceleration decreases, the angular velocity will also decrease.