Why is there no acceleration in the southern/y direction?

yashboi123
Homework Statement
A river flows due south with a speed of 2.5 m/s. You steer a motorboat across the river; your velocity relative to the water is 5.2 m/s due east. The river is 650 m wide.

How far south of your starting point will you reach the opposite bank?
Relevant Equations
Δ x = v 0 t + 1 2 a t 2
v = v 0 + a t
Δ x/ Δt = v
The correct answer is obtained by rearranging Δ x/ Δt = v. However, I assumed there would be some acceleration in the y direction so I tried to use the kinematic equations. To find the time I simply rearranged Δ x/ Δt = v, assigning v=5.2 m/s and Δ x = 650. I assumed there is no acceleration in the x/east direction, but why is there no acceleration in the y/southern direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what “velocity relative to the water” means.

so essentially relative to water means that speed is constant, in turn causing there to be no acceleration for the east direction. But why can we just assume the river has no acceleration?

yashboi123 said:
But why can we just assume the river has no acceleration?
Because the problem statement says that the river flows at a speed of 2.5m/s.
That implies an acceleration of 0.

Also, you're not given a value for acceleration, so if you aren't going to assume zero, what value would you assume?

I see, thank you.

DaveC426913 said:
Because the problem statement says that the river flows at a speed of 2.5m/s.
That implies an acceleration of 0.

Also, you're not given a value for acceleration, so if you aren't going to assume zero, what value would you assume?
Haha I thought we would have to find the acceleration ourselves then solve

Why do you keep saying "acceleration" ?

hmmm27 said:
Why do you keep saying "acceleration" ?
What else should I say.

yashboi123 said:
What else should I say.
Something relevant to the question, which has nothing that implies an acceleration.

That's why I asked the question

So, what do you see as implying the need for an "acceleration" ?

1. Why is there no acceleration in the southern/y direction?

This is because the southern/y direction is perpendicular to the Earth's surface, and the force of gravity acts only in the vertical direction. Therefore, there is no component of acceleration in the southern/y direction.

2. How does the Earth's rotation affect acceleration in the southern/y direction?

The Earth's rotation does not directly affect acceleration in the southern/y direction. However, it does contribute to the Coriolis effect, which can indirectly affect the direction of moving objects.

3. Why is the acceleration due to gravity the same in both the northern and southern hemispheres?

This is because the force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the Earth, which is constant regardless of location. Therefore, the acceleration due to gravity is the same in both hemispheres.

4. Does the acceleration in the southern/y direction change at different latitudes?

No, the acceleration in the southern/y direction remains constant at all latitudes. However, the direction of acceleration may change due to the Coriolis effect.

5. How does the presence of other celestial bodies affect acceleration in the southern/y direction?

The presence of other celestial bodies may have a small effect on the acceleration in the southern/y direction due to gravitational interactions. However, this effect is usually negligible and does not significantly impact the overall acceleration.