Angular momentum and normalization

Learned from it.In summary, the conversation discussed normalizing an angular momentum state and finding the probabilities for different values of the third component of angular momentum. The coefficients in the state were identified as probability amplitudes, and it was explained that these amplitudes must be squared and added up to equal 1. The concept of measuring the z-component of spin to determine the state was also mentioned. The conversation concluded with the person stating that they had resolved their initial confusion and thanking the other person for their help.
kcasali

Homework Statement

A particle is in an angular momentum state

Ψ(θ,φ) = |l=1,m=1> + 2|1,0> + 3|1,-1>

Normalize this state and find the probabilities for finding the system with its third component Lz with values hbar, 0, -hbar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to normalize the kets, I just have to multiply them by their bras, but I'm not sure if I multiply the entire equation by the same bra or how to multiply it by three different bras. (I'm also not sure if I'm even on the right track.)

Physics news on Phys.org
kcasali said:

Homework Statement

A particle is in an angular momentum state

Ψ(θ,φ) = |l=1,m=1> + 2|1,0> + 3|1,-1>

Normalize this state and find the probabilities for finding the system with its third component Lz with values hbar, 0, -hbar.

- the coefficients 1, 2, and 3 are probability amplitudes. you know that if you square the probability amplitude, you get a probability. Right now, your probability adds up to 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2. You want to do something to these coefficients so that their squares add up to 1... instead of 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2. But you have to do the same thing to each amplitude so that their relative sizes don't change.

xcrunner2414 said:
- the coefficients 1, 2, and 3 are probability amplitudes. you know that if you square the probability amplitude, you get a probability. Right now, your probability adds up to 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2. You want to do something to these coefficients so that their squares add up to 1... instead of 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2. But you have to do the same thing to each amplitude so that their relative sizes don't change.

That makes sense, but where am I supposed to get the hbar and -hbar from? Am I missing something really obvious?

kcasali said:
That makes sense, but where am I supposed to get the hbar and -hbar from? Am I missing something really obvious?

- If you measure the particle to have z-component spin of hbar, that means it's in the |1,1> state. If its z-component is 0, it's in the |1,0> state. If its z-component is -hbar, it's in the |1,-1> state.

xcrunner2414 said:
- If you measure the particle to have z-component spin of hbar, that means it's in the |1,1> state. If its z-component is 0, it's in the |1,0> state. If its z-component is -hbar, it's in the |1,-1> state.

Ahhh, thank you! Am I on the right track to normalize the state initially?

Nevermind, I got it. Thank you!

Had the same problem quasite a while ago.
Did the same mistake.

Related to Angular momentum and normalization

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important in science?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and systems, such as planets, atoms, and galaxies.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates).

3. What is the principle of conservation of angular momentum?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on a system, the total angular momentum of the system will remain the same.

4. What is normalization and why is it important in physics?

Normalization is the process of scaling a set of values to make them fall within a specific range. In physics, it is important because it allows us to compare and analyze different physical quantities that may have different units or scales.

5. How is normalization used in the context of angular momentum?

In the context of angular momentum, normalization is used to scale the values of angular momentum to make them comparable with other physical quantities. This allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of rotating systems in relation to other physical processes.