Help with the matrix representation of <-|+|->. Does "+"=|+>?

In summary, the conversation discusses using <+|+>=1=<-|-> and <-|+>=0 to prove an equation with 6 different versions. The main point of confusion is how to simplify the equation and make sense of the symbols + and - outside of kets and bras. The conversation provides an explanation of Sakurai's notation and how to expand the equation using outer products. However, it is suggested that the notation could have been clearer and simpler.
yoyopizza
Homework Statement
I'm working on problem 1.10 in Sakurai (1.8 in version 1 or 2), where I'm supposed to prove the commutation relation on [S_i,S_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}h_bar*S_k
Relevant Equations
S_x=hbar/2(|+><-|+|-><+|)
S_y=ihbar/2(-|+><-|+|-><+|)
S_z=hbar/2(|+><+|-|-><-|)
Trying to use <+|+>=1=<-|-> and <-|+>=0 to prove each iteration of the equation, so I have 6 different versions to prove. But the part I'm currently stuck on is understanding how to simplify any given version. I've written out [S_x,S_y]=S_xS_y\psi-S_yS_x\psi and expanded it in terms of the |+>,|-> kets and bras. Then using associativity I've broken up some of the three term components like <-|+|-> into (<-|)(+|->) which I'm assuming will allow me to remove some terms, however now I don't really understand what + or - means in the absence of being inside a ket or bra. I can't imagine they equal their usual matrix representation because then +=|+> which makes no sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of Sakurai's notation is a bit wild and woolly in my opinion. What we have here, for example, is:
$$S_x = \frac \hbar 2[(|+\rangle \langle -|) + (|-\rangle \langle +|)]$$ I.e. it is the sum of two operators, each formed by the outer product of a ket with a bra.

Does that help?

PS The ##+## in the middle is the plain old symbol for (in this case) operator addition.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, yoyopizza and TSny
Ahhh, that does help. So to expand on that, ## S_y=\frac{i\hbar}{2}(-|+><-|)+(|-><+|)## i assume. And this would imply that the first negative sign there just means negative ##|+>## Thanks

Last edited:
yoyopizza said:
Ahhh, that does help. So to expand on that, ## S_y=\frac{i\hbar}{2}(-|+><-|)+(|-><+|)## i assume. And this would imply that the first negative sign there just means negative ##|+>## Thanks
Yes, I don't know why he didn't write: $$S_y=-\frac{i\hbar}{2}[(|+><-|)-(|-><+|)]$$

Last edited:
Likes yoyopizza
PeroK said:
Yes, I don't know why he didn't write: $$S_y=-\frac{i\hbar}{2}[(|+><-|)+(|-><+|)]$$

Yeah that would have been much more clear. Thanks a ton.

1. What is the matrix representation of <-|+|->?

The matrix representation of <-|+|-> is a 2x2 matrix with the first row being [-1 0] and the second row being [0 1].

2. How is the matrix representation of <-|+|-> related to quantum mechanics?

The matrix representation of <-|+|-> is related to quantum mechanics because it represents the state of a quantum system with a basis of |-> and |+>. This is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent spin states.

3. Can the matrix representation of <-|+|-> be used to calculate probabilities?

Yes, the matrix representation of <-|+|-> can be used to calculate probabilities. The probability of measuring the state |-> or |+> is represented by the squared magnitude of the corresponding element in the matrix.

4. Does "+"=|+> in the matrix representation of <-|+|->?

No, "+" does not equal |+> in the matrix representation of <-|+|->. The "+" represents the state of |->, while |+> represents the state of |+>. The matrix representation simply shows the relationship between these two states.

5. How can the matrix representation of <-|+|-> be used in quantum computing?

The matrix representation of <-|+|-> can be used in quantum computing to perform operations on qubits with a basis of |-> and |+>. This allows for the manipulation of quantum states and can be used in various quantum algorithms.