Can Quantum Mechanics Ket and Bra Methods Solve Scalar Equations?

Ugnius
Homework Statement
##\left|m\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\binom{1-2i}{\alpha} , \left|n\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}\binom{-3+2i}{\beta}##
Relevant Equations
Find unknown constants A, α and β, we know that β is real positive integer , α has both real and imaginary parts
Not really even sure how to approach this problem , I would guess if we need scalar answer we would need to combine these two given equations together but I'm unfamiliar with such methods, in the book there is methods to make a ket to a bra and then matrix part transposes and multiplies with the original while constant squares like:
##\left\langle m \right|\left|m\right\rangle = ({\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}}^2)*\binom{1-2i}{\alpha}*(1-2i ,\alpha)##

Would that be an approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugnius said:
Homework Statement: ##\left|m\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\binom{1-2i}{\alpha} , \left|n\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}\binom{-3+2i}{\beta}##
Relevant Equations: Find unknown constants A, α and β, we know that β is real positive integer , α has both real and imaginary parts

Not really even sure how to approach this problem , I would guess if we need scalar answer we would need to combine these two given equations together but I'm unfamiliar with such methods, in the book there is methods to make a ket to a bra and then matrix part transposes and multiplies with the original while constant squares like:
##\left\langle m \right|\left|m\right\rangle = ({\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}}^2)*\binom{1-2i}{\alpha}*(1-2i ,\alpha)##

Would that be an approach?
If you normalize ##\mid n \rangle##, then yes, you can find ##\beta##. But you would write this as
##\langle n \mid n \rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{14}} \begin{pmatrix} -3-2i & \beta^* \end{pmatrix} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{14}} \begin{pmatrix} -3+2i \\ \beta \end{pmatrix}##
(You wrote your bra and ket in the wrong order for ##\langle m \mid m \rangle## in your OP.)

We know that ##\beta## is real, so ##\beta^* = \beta##, and you can go from there.

To find A and ##\alpha## we need to know something about how ##\mid m \rangle## and ##\mid n \rangle## relate to each other. Are they orthogonal? ie. ##\langle n \mid m \rangle = 0##?

-Dan

Thank you.
They are orthogonal yes , I'm brute forcing the solution right now , I solved for \beta. Now I need to solve \langle n \mid m \rangle = 0 and i'll get back to you for confirmation if I did it correctly

1. Can quantum mechanics ket and bra methods solve scalar equations?

Yes, quantum mechanics ket and bra methods can be used to solve scalar equations by representing the state vector as a ket and the operator as a bra, allowing for the manipulation of equations in a quantum mechanical framework.

2. How do ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics differ from traditional methods of solving scalar equations?

Ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics differ from traditional methods by utilizing linear algebra and complex numbers to represent states and operators, allowing for the application of quantum principles to solve scalar equations.

3. Are ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics more efficient in solving scalar equations compared to classical methods?

In some cases, ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics can be more efficient in solving scalar equations, especially when dealing with systems that exhibit quantum behavior or superposition. However, the efficiency may vary depending on the complexity of the problem.

4. Can ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics be applied to solve non-linear scalar equations?

Ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics are primarily designed for solving linear equations, but they can be extended to some non-linear equations using techniques such as perturbation theory or numerical methods. However, their effectiveness in solving non-linear equations may be limited compared to linear equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics to solve scalar equations?

One limitation of using ket and bra methods in quantum mechanics to solve scalar equations is the requirement for a good understanding of quantum mechanics and linear algebra, which can be challenging for those unfamiliar with these concepts. Additionally, these methods may not always provide intuitive solutions for all types of scalar equations.