Angular momentum with cylinders rolling

In summary, a thin cylindrical shell and a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius are released side by side from the top of an inclined plane. When the first object reaches the bottom, the other object will be 0.655 meters above the ground. Using the equation v^2 = 2ax, where a is the acceleration and x is the distance, we can find that the acceleration of the solid cylinder is 4/3 times the acceleration of the shell. By setting up proportions, we can solve for the distance the shell reaches in the same time as the solid cylinder, and use that to find the height of the solid cylinder above the ground.
lzh

Homework Statement

A think cylindrical shell and a solid cylinder have the same mass and radius. The two are released side by side and roll down, w/o slipping, from the top of an inclined plane that is 4.9m above the ground.

When the first object reaches the bottom, what is the height above the ground of the other object?

Homework Equations

(delta)x=.5(Vi+Vf)t

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem also asked for the final linear velocity of both cylinders. Which I found to be:
shell: 6.92965m/s
solid:8m/s

I tried to use the delta x equation above, but time is not given so I had to use ratio to cancel out the time:
z: how far down the shell is
solid:
.5(8)t=(delta)x
=4t
shell:
.5(6.93)t=(delta)x
=3.465t
3.465t/4t = z/4.9
z=4.2445

answer: 4.9-4.2225=.655

however, this is wrong. Did I miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
lzh said:
solid:
.5(8)t=(delta)x
=4t
OK.
shell:
.5(6.93)t=(delta)x
=3.465t
You found the time for the shell to reach the bottom (its final speed). What you need is its time and speed at the moment the solid hits the bottom.

the solid's final velocity is 8m/s like I said, I know that my final velocity numbers are correct.

lzh said:
the solid's final velocity is 8m/s like I said, I know that my final velocity numbers are correct.
Yes, your final velocity numbers are correct.

Try this: Compare the acceleration of each cylinder.

well, the problem is that I don't know what time is. I can do:
8/t
6.93/t
for acceleration.
If I knew how far it is to roll down to the bottom, I could figure out the time. But other than that I 'm not sure what else to do.

lzh said:
well, the problem is that I don't know what time is. I can do:
8/t
6.93/t
for acceleration.
That won't help since the times are different (of course). Instead, relate the final speed to the acceleration using distance, which you know is the same (call it x):
[tex]v^2 = 2 a x[/tex]
If I knew how far it is to roll down to the bottom, I could figure out the time.
Just call the distance x, as you've been doing. How does distance relate to time for accelerated motion?

I've tried using the equation you've given before. But the problem is that I don't have a number for the acceleration either. So I have two unknowns in one equation- if I could find another equation to use as a system I could find the answer. But eqns like:
x=.5at^2
Vf=at
just can't work in the system of equation. All the equations that relates distance and time that I've tried does not work. However, I know for sure that:
acceleration of solid=(4/3)acceleration of shell

Thanks for all your help!

lzh said:
However, I know for sure that:
acceleration of solid=(4/3)acceleration of shell
Excellent. That's all you really need.

Now make use of x = .5at^2. For the solid, call the acceleration a, the total distance x, and the time to reach the bottom t.

Then find the distance that the shell reaches in that same time t in terms of x. (Same equation, different acceleration.)

thanks I've figured it out! I just solve using proportions!

Related to Angular momentum with cylinders rolling

1. What is angular momentum with cylinders rolling?

Angular momentum with cylinders rolling is a scientific concept that describes the rotational motion of a cylinder around its axis. It takes into account both the mass and velocity of the cylinder to calculate its angular momentum.

2. How is angular momentum with cylinders rolling different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum with cylinders rolling is different from linear momentum because it takes into account the rotational motion of the cylinder, while linear momentum only considers the linear motion of an object.

3. What factors influence the angular momentum of a cylinder rolling?

The angular momentum of a cylinder rolling is influenced by the mass, radius, and velocity of the cylinder. The surface on which it is rolling and any external forces acting on it can also affect its angular momentum.

4. How is angular momentum with cylinders rolling conserved?

Angular momentum with cylinders rolling is conserved when there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, even if the individual components change.

5. What real-world applications use the concept of angular momentum with cylinders rolling?

The concept of angular momentum with cylinders rolling is used in various real-world applications, such as the design of spinning objects like tops and gyroscopes. It is also important in the study of rotational motion and energy conservation in physics.