Angular Velocity and Acceleration

In summary: The rest should be easy (don't think in terms of "solving for time").In summary, to find the magnitude of the angular acceleration in rad/s/s, you can use the equation Θ = Θ0 + ω0t + 0.5αt^2 and substitute in the known values for initial and final angular velocity and the number of revolutions to solve for α. Another SUVAT equation can also be used to find a second equation for α and t, making it possible to solve for both variables.
df102015

Homework Statement

If a bike wheel rotates 9.4 times while slowing down to a stop from an initial angular velocity of 8.1 rad/s, what is the magnitude of the angular acceleration in rad/s/s

Homework Equations

α = at / r
α = ω / t
α = Θ / t^2
ω = Θ / t
ω = v / r
Θ = ω t + 0.5 α t^2
v final = v initial + at → ω final = ω initial + αt
some of these formulas may be useless, and there possibly are some others not mentioned that i do not know :/

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing the initial angular velocity is 8.1 and the final is 0 since the wheel stops, i used
ω final = ω initial + αt
0 = 8.1 + αt
it spins 9.4 times in the time frame during which it slows down, but the radius of the wheel is not given. And i do not know which ω to use in the equation ω = Θ / t in order to find time. If i could get time, then i could use the equation α = ω / t or α = Θ / t^2. Am i even approaching this correctly? if not can somebody point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

There is another SUVAT equation you need to translate into uniformly decelerated angular motion: ##s = s_0 + v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2##.

##\theta## takes the place of s (and one revolution is ##2\pi##) to give you a second equation. That way you have 2 eqns for ##\alpha## and ##t##, so you should be able to solve.

BvU said:
Hi,

There is another SUVAT equation you need to translate into uniformly decelerated angular motion: ##s = s_0 + v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2##.

##\theta## takes the place of s (and one revolution is ##2\pi##) to give you a second equation. That way you have 2 eqns for ##\alpha## and ##t##, so you should be able to solve.
i am still confused as to what two equations these are, if you could provide them for me or hint at what they would be i would greatly appreciate it. I am unsure of what s0 would be, i understand that theta substitutes for s, but it couldn't be for both sides. Is 2pi x 9.4 supposed to be s?

$$\theta(t) = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + {1\over 2} \alpha t^2 $$ it's that simple (for constant angular acceleration/deceleration -- then ##\alpha < 0##).

You don't know ##\theta(t)## and ##\theta_0## but you do know their difference (indeed, the angle you mention).

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, or how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of rotation. Specifically, linear velocity equals angular velocity multiplied by the radius of rotation. This means that the farther an object is from the axis of rotation, the faster its linear velocity will be for a given angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular acceleration measures how an object's angular velocity changes over time.

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) or degrees per second squared (deg/s^2).

5. What factors affect angular velocity and acceleration?

The main factors that affect angular velocity and acceleration are the radius of rotation, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the object can also affect its angular velocity and acceleration.