Angular Velocity Homework: Rigid Body Rotation w/ 3 rad/s

In summary, the conversation was about a rigid body rotating at 3 radians per second about an axis parallel to ax - 2ay + 2az. The problem was to express this mathematically and the attempt at a solution involved finding the velocity of the body at a given point. The solution included determining the vector r and w and the questioner asked for confirmation and reasoning behind the answer provided.
4real4sure

Homework Statement

Rigid body is rotating with 3 radians per second about an axis parallel to ax - 2ay + 2az. Express this mathematically.

Homework Equations

ax - 2ay + 2az

The Attempt at a Solution

w(vector)=w(1,-2,2) / 3 = (1,-2,2)
I need confirmation if this is correct or not. In either case, reasoning would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The last statement itself was an attempt and I need "confirmation" if it is okay or not.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I need confirmation if this is correct or not. In either case, reasoning would be much appreciated.

could you elaborate more on the ax - 2ay + 2az expression. Is this supposed to a vector as in ai -2aj +2ak where i,j,k are unit vectors? or is it the description of a plane where all points (x,y,z) reside on this plane ax - 2ay + 2az = constant ?

jedishrfu said:
could you elaborate more on the ax - 2ay + 2az expression. Is this supposed to a vector as in ai -2aj +2ak where i,j,k are unit vectors? or is it the description of a plane where all points (x,y,z) reside on this plane ax - 2ay + 2az = constant ?
Some books use the notation ax, ay, and az instead of i, j, and k for the Cartesian basis vectors.

4real4sure said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
It would be correct if you had units on there. As far as the reasoning, you are supposed to supply that. Why do you think that's the way to solve this problem?

ax, ay, and az are unit vectors and I need to figure out the statement for the vector "w" which is in the attempt.

It would be correct if you had units on there.

I didn't get this

Why don't you explain what you're doing?

Here it is, A rigid body rotates with angular velocity 3 rad/sec which remains stable. r is the distance vector from origin to a point Q, the position of a particle in the body. The velocity u of the body at Q is given by u = w X r (where u, w ,r are vectors). The rigid body is rotating parallel to ax — 2ay + 2az (where ax, ay, az are unit vectors) and passing through point (2, —3, 1), determine the velocity of the body at (1, 3,4).

Here I need to figure out vector u, vector r and vector w.
vector r=(1,3,4)-(2,-3,1)=(-1,6,3)
Now I need to find vector w for which I started out the question basically.

I'm asking you to explain why you wrote
Was this just some random combination of symbols? Is the 3 in the denominator because the angular speed is 3 rad/sec?

Related to Angular Velocity Homework: Rigid Body Rotation w/ 3 rad/s

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is typically represented by the Greek letter omega (ω).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. The formula is ω = Δθ/Δt. It is important to remember that angular velocity is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is a rigid body rotation?

A rigid body rotation is when an object rotates around a fixed axis without any deformation or change in shape. This is in contrast to non-rigid body rotations, where the object can bend or deform as it rotates.

4. What does 3 rad/s mean?

3 rad/s means that the object is rotating at a rate of 3 radians per second. This tells us how quickly the object is rotating and in what direction (clockwise or counterclockwise).

5. How does angular velocity affect rigid body rotation?

Angular velocity is directly proportional to the speed of rotation of a rigid body. This means that the higher the angular velocity, the faster the object is rotating. Additionally, the direction of the angular velocity vector determines the direction of rotation.