Angular velocity of cylinders after slipping over each other

This will produce a torque that opposes the initial angular speeds, causing the slipping to eventually cease. In summary, the two cylinders initially rotate about their own axes with angular speeds w1 and w2, but when brought into contact and with friction between them, the slipping between them eventually stops. The final angular speeds of the cylinders cannot be determined due to the presence of external torques from the axles.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

two cylinders of radii r1, and r2
having moments of inertia I1, and I2, about their
respective axes. Initially, the cylinders rotate about their
axes with angular speeds w1, and w 2 as shown in the
figure. The cylinders are moved closer to touch each other
keeping the axes parallel. The cylinders first slip over
each other at the contact but the slipping finally ceases
due to the friction between them. Find the angular speeds
of the cylinders after the slipping ceases

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I applied conservation of angular momentum for the system
so, I1w1-I2w2=I1ω1-I2ω2
since linear speed is same ω1r1=-ω2r2
so I got ω1 on solving to be=r2(I1w1-I2w2)/(I1r2-I2r1)
which is wrong,

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-3_14-32-37.png
    upload_2017-10-3_14-32-37.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 500
Likes orientor
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum cannot be applied in the axis parallel to axis of cylinder. This is because force is being applied by the axis so that Fext=0.
and this force will generate torque about any axis parallel to the cylinder axis.

carlyn medona said:
I applied conservation of angular momentum for the system
That is only valid for a system upon which there is no net external torque. In this case, each cylinder is constrained to an axle, so the axles can exert forces on the system. You can eliminate one by taking moments about an axle, but then you have a net torque from the other axle. There's no way to eliminate both.
Consider the tangential forces the cylinders exert on each other.

Likes orientor

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the linear velocity of a point on the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

How does slipping affect the angular velocity of cylinders?

Slipping occurs when two cylinders are rotating at different speeds and come into contact with each other. This can cause a change in the angular velocity of both cylinders, as the contact point acts as a pivot point for the rotation.

What factors can affect the angular velocity of cylinders after slipping over each other?

The angular velocity of cylinders after slipping can be affected by the initial angular velocities of the cylinders, the point of contact, the mass and shape of the cylinders, and any external forces or friction present during the slipping motion.