How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity for a Bicycle Tire?

In summary, to determine the angular velocity of a bicycle with tires of 70 cm in diameter traveling at 18 km/h, we first convert the speed to cm/s, then find the circumference of the tire, divide the speed by the circumference to get the number of rotations per second, and finally multiply by 2PI to get the angular velocity in rad/s. This results in an angular velocity of approximately 4.6PI rad/s.
Imperil
A bicycle travels at 18 km/h. The tires on the bicycle are 70 cm in diameter. Determine the angular velocity in rad/s.

My work:

18 km/h = 1800000 cm / 60^2 s = 500 cm / s
C = 2Pi(35 cm) = 70Pi cm
500 cm / 70Pi cm = 2.3 rotations / s
2.3 x 2Pi = 4.6Pi rad/sec

First I determine the speed in cm / s, then the circumference of the tire, divide the speed by circumference to get number of rotations per second, then multiply the number of rotations by 2PI which then gives me 4.6PI rad/sec

Am I correct? Or have I done something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your arithmetic but your reasoning is correct.

Your solution is correct. You correctly converted the speed from km/h to cm/s and then used the formula for angular velocity (ω = v/r) to determine the number of rotations per second. Multiplying by 2π gives the angular velocity in radians per second. Well done!

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is Angular Velocity different from Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What is the formula for calculating Angular Velocity?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time. It can also be calculated as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of rotation in Hertz.

4. How is Angular Velocity related to Centripetal Acceleration?

Angular velocity and centripetal acceleration are directly related. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path, and it is equal to the square of the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the circle. This relationship is represented by the formula a = ω²r.

5. How can Angular Velocity be applied in real-life situations?

Angular velocity is used in many real-life situations, such as in the design of rotating machinery, like engines and turbines. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to measure the speed of rotations. In astronomy, it is used to measure the rotational speed of planets and galaxies. Additionally, it is used in navigation systems and robotics to control the movement of objects.