Angular velocity, the Doppler effect, and frequencies.

In summary, the speaker, spinning at 2 rev/s or 720.0027707 rad/s, connected to an electric piano playing a note at 261 Hz, will produce a range of frequencies ranging from 198.0887291 to 382.4685762 Hz for a stationary observer. This is due to the speaker's linear velocity, calculated at 1080.004156 m/s, being greater than the speed of sound in air (343 m/s). The correct calculation for the range of frequencies is 247 to 276 Hz, taking into account the frequency increase when the source approaches the observer and the decrease when the source moves away.
sirfinklstin

Homework Statement

A speaker is attached to a wire 1.5 m long and is spun in a circle at 2 rev/s. The speaker is connected to an electric piano on which a child is playing a note at 261 Hz. Speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.

What range of frequencies will the stationary observer hear?

I converted rev/s to rad/s to get angular velocity, w=720.0027707 rad/s.
Then, I converted this into linear velocity to match with the speed of sound, v/r = w, v = 1080.004156 m/s.

Next I used the Doppler equation for a moving source, and got 198.0887291 and 382.4685762Hz, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see that the linear speed of the speaker is larger than the speed of sound... no second thoughts?

The angular velocity is 4pi rad/s (1 rev=2pi, 2rev=4pi) or approx 12.56 rad/s.
I don't undersdtand how you can get that number (w=720.0027707 rad/s.) unless you used degrees and and a slide ruler to multiply 2 by 360.

after using your 12.56 rad/s, i got 8.3733 m/s and 6.2197 to 6.5309Hz as my range of frequencies, but this does not seem right. Am I missing something?

The linear velocity is given by
v=w*r where w is the angular velocity and r is 1.5 m.
How do you get 8.4 if w is about 12.6 and r=1.5?? It is about 19 m/s .(the 4 digits after the decimal point are pointless).

The range of frequencies should be something around the basic frequency (261 Hz).
Like 255-266 Hz (as an example, I did not do the calculation).
You need to calculate the frequency increase when the source approaches the observer and the decrease when the source is going the other way.

The range of velocities are 247 to 276 Hz. I divided the angular velocity by the radius instead of multiplying it (thanks for pointing that out). Also I had the variable for Vsound and V source mixed up! Thanks for the help!

Related to Angular velocity, the Doppler effect, and frequencies.

1. What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a central axis. It is calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time it took to cover that displacement. The unit of angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s).

2. How does the Doppler effect affect frequencies?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave as the source of the wave moves towards or away from an observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave increases, and if the source is moving away, the frequency decreases. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, but it also applies to other types of waves such as light.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula f = c/λ, where f is the frequency, c is the speed of the wave, and λ is the wavelength.

4. How are angular velocity and linear velocity related?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the circular motion. The linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius. This relationship is described by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius.

5. How does the frequency of a wave change when it passes through different mediums?

The frequency of a wave remains constant as it passes through different mediums. However, the speed of the wave and its wavelength may change, which can affect how the wave is perceived. For example, when light waves pass through a medium with a higher refractive index, the speed decreases, and the wavelength decreases, resulting in a change in the direction of the wave. This phenomenon is known as refraction.