Anisotropic Modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio

In summary, the data given is for the deformation in three directions when the material is compressed simultaneously. To calculate the values for Ex, Ey, Ez, Vxy, Vyx, and Vxz, σx / εx will be needed for each of the E values, and Poisson's ratio vxy will be needed for the Vxz value.
rabbahs
Hi,
I have some experimental data and I am interested to use this data to calculated modulus of elasticiy (young's modulus) and Poisson's ratio. The material for which the data is given in an anisotropic material, therefore I need to calculate modulus of elasticity and poisson's ration is x,y and z direction.
the data which is have is the stress in three direction and corresponding strain three direction.

So , my problem is simple.
Knows: sigma_x, sigma_y, sigma_z, epsilon_x, epsilon_y, epsilon_y (6 knows)
Unknows: Ex, Ey, Ez, Vxy, Vyx, Vxz (6 unknows).

I have seen a formula in rock mechanics book (see the following image), but it will resolve into only three equation if the share stress is ignored.

Please help me out.
Thanks
Syed

upload_2014-11-4_14-29-14.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Rabbahs, from your post I assume you wish to find the values Ex, Ey, Ez, Vxy, Vyx, and Vxz. For each of the E values, you will need to divide the corresponding sigma value by the corresponding strain value.
In other words, if for example you would like to know Ex, Ex will be equal to σx / εx. This goes for all the E values.

For the poisson values:
Poisson's ratio vxy = - εxy

Bonus: Should you need to calculate the Shear modulus, Gxy = τxy xy.
Or Gx = taux /gammax.

I hope this helps.

Thanks darovmat for you reply, I really appreciate it.
The data which I have is for the deformation in x,y and z direction when sample is compressed in all three direction simultaneously. Therefore in my data the effected of anisotropy is coupled in all three strain value due to difference in poisson's ration in x,y and z direction (material is highly anisotropic).
The formula you have stated is only valid for very simple case when only axial stress is applied and strain in measured.

Please let me know you comments.
thanks
Syed

What is the definition of anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

Anisotropic modulus of elasticity is a measure of the stiffness of a material in different directions. It describes how a material's response to stress varies based on the direction in which the stress is applied.

What factors affect the anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

The anisotropic modulus of elasticity is affected by the material's crystal structure, grain orientation, and fiber alignment. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

How is anisotropic modulus of elasticity different from isotropic modulus of elasticity?

Anisotropic modulus of elasticity measures the stiffness of a material in different directions, while isotropic modulus of elasticity is a single value that represents the stiffness of a material in all directions. Anisotropic materials have different properties depending on the direction of force, while isotropic materials have the same properties in all directions.

What is Poisson's ratio and how is it related to anisotropic modulus of elasticity?

Poisson's ratio is a measure of how a material's cross-sectional area changes when it is under stress. It is related to anisotropic modulus of elasticity because it describes the relationship between the material's longitudinal and lateral strains, which are affected by the material's anisotropic properties.

How is anisotropic modulus of elasticity measured?

Anisotropic modulus of elasticity is typically measured using specialized equipment such as a tensile or compression testing machine. The material is subjected to different types of stress in various directions, and the resulting strains are measured to calculate the anisotropic modulus of elasticity.